Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

New Member's Yurt Plan

Old 08-28-2018, 02:01 PM   #21
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: New member's yurt plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Much as I love yurts, I'd go with the cabin. WAAY more solid and way more tradesmen think square rather than round. Just my opinion.

Hi Bob. There is a good possibility that I will go with a cabin. It seems to me that there are two appeals of a yurt to many people: 1) the unique and interesting design, and 2) the price. The unique and interesting design does appeal to me, but I recognize its challenges and limitations. However, it seems those challenges and limitations can be satisfactorily overcome with a little planning and a little money. I will run more numbers, but if I can achieve my goals with a yurt, and the price comes in significantly lower than a similarly-sized cabin, I may still be inclined to go with the yurt. For the moment, however, I am under the impression that -- if you do everything I am planning on doing -- the cost savings of the yurt might not be significant enough to outweigh the benefits of a cabin, and in fact, might not exist, at all.
MG1917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #22
Yurt Forum Addict

Well yurts are fantastic dwellings. However as good as they are, if I was weighing costs as far as a permanent home goes, I would certainly go with a cabin, even though it is more money. I hate to say that on this wonderful site buts that is my considered opinion. The BIG advantage of a moderate size yurt of 6 meters or so is it's portability. It can be dismantled and moved in two days. That's obviously impossible with any house. Therein lies the yurts BIG advantage and it is a huge one for nomads like Mongolians, or the free spirited young that have no interest in settling down yet. Just my opinion as usual. My opinions aren't stamped in stone. lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 08-28-2018, 06:12 PM   #23
Yurt Forum Addict

One important point. Since I'm a carpenter I'd bw doing the cabin OR yurt building so the labor cost doesn't factor in. Figuring in others to do the work obviously gonna make any project a heck of a lot more expensive. I built my yurt and platform for about $1300 if I remeber correstly. Any cabin that has amenities and isn't just a shed is gonna be WAY more than that. Good luck. Gotta go.
Old 08-31-2018, 03:40 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
One important point. Since I'm a carpenter I'd bw doing the cabin OR yurt building so the labor cost doesn't factor in. Figuring in others to do the work obviously gonna make any project a heck of a lot more expensive. I built my yurt and platform for about $1300 if I remeber correstly. Any cabin that has amenities and isn't just a shed is gonna be WAY more than that. Good luck. Gotta go.
Hi Bob. I would be relying on professional builders, so labor cost would factor in for me. I have completed some rough estimates of what it would cost me to build the 30’ yurt as configured in my original post versus a 32x24 Arched Cabin, a 24x24 Tuff-Shed Cabin, and a 14x48 Amish Made Cabin, with options similar to those in my yurt configuration (sleeping loft, interior build out, etc.). In terms of performance, the Arched Cabin would likely perform better, and the two “normal” structures would doubtlessly perform better, especially since I would insulate them with spray foam.

However, when one considers price, the yurt remains an attractive option, at probably $10k less than the Arched Cabin, $30k less than the Tuff-Shed, $40k less than the Amish Made Cabin, and $50k less than a similar, conventionally-built, non-kit building. I had originally speculated the cost savings of the yurt might not be significant enough to outweigh the benefits of a cabin, and in fact, might not exist, at all, but it seems -- based on my rough estimates -- that those cost savings could actually be significant.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:21 PM   #25
Yurt Forum Addict

After my Dad died my Mom sold the house I grew up in, a 3 bed 2 bath rancher. She bought a one bed one bath condo of 724 square feet. It had washer & dryer as well. That's a VERY small condo. I mean it is small not kinda small. S M A L L !! lol

My wife and I paid it off after Mom died and lived in it for 17 years prior to me building our 3500 foot house. In fact we pretty much raised our son in that condo, he had the bedroom, we had a bed in the dining room. Unbelievable I know but that's the truth. So yeah, I know about small homes and under no circumstances could I ever reccommend that to anyone. How any couple with a child could do that in a home a couple hundred feet smaller blows my mind, but some not only do it but it with more than one child. I think Mongolians have raised a passel of kids in a yurt of 20' diameter. Absolutely incredible how tough those folks are..

I have zero experience with 30' yurts or any 'Americanized' yurt so really can't comment on them from experience. I CAN say whatever you decide to do, you can expect to work your rear end off paying off a mortgage if you go that route. We just paid off house last year and we are in our mid sixties. Guess I have no other comment. You got figuring to do and only you are gonna figure that out. Good luck to you. Bob.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:37 PM   #26
Yurt Forum Addict

We have friends that own a small one bed one bath cabin here in Colorado up in the Rocky mountains. Imma guess the main cabin is 600 feet. There is a rec room added one side that added probably 200 feet so say 800 feet total. They built a small bunk house adjacent to it probably 200 feet with a loft. Their family of four plus ours of three spent two decades going up there on weekends year around in the 90s to about 2005 and had TONS of fun. But never was there seven sleeping in the main cabin when we were there. The bunkhouse was always in use by us three or us and a couple of the other kids. If we all lived there and it wasn't just recreation on weekends we wouldn't have got along at all. People gotta have a certain amount of privacy and private time. Something to consider. OK I'm done. lol
Old 09-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #27
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Bob. I appreciate your perspective, as always. I will not be paying anything off, as I will not have loans of any sort; I am budgeting for the total cost of land, improvements, and structures.

Regarding size, I do not have dependents and do not plan to have any, although anything could happen, of course. For the time being, it will just be me living in the structure -- enjoying a quiet, simple retirement.
YurterRT likes this.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:32 PM   #28
Yurt Forum Addict

10-4 on the retirement. At 64 Imma start sneaking up on it.
Old 09-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #29
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
10-4 on the retirement. At 64 Imma start sneaking up on it.

I was hoping it was going to be as soon as 2020 for me, but a few things changed at work for me, so it's looking like 2023 now. Only three years longer and gives me more time to plan/daydream/save.
Bob Rowlands and YurterRT like this.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #30
Administrator

Having an "Americanized" yurt and been in and helped set up traditional yurts, I can tell you that they are miles apart inside. I could live in my yurt, comfortably on my own. It's a unique experience.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote