Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Yurts In Vermont And NH

Old 06-28-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurts in Vermont and NH

Hello everyone,
I am going to be purchasing a yurt soon, but I am confused about where and I am having no luck with asking around or making phone calls. I live in North Haverhill NH the best I come up with in all my searching and asking is Vermont is more yurt friendly, I do not own any land yet I would like to buy some where that is yurt friendly as I can't afford to buy several acres to hide my yurt, as I was told I might have to here. I really would like to meet some yurt owners near me? I would like to put my yurt no more than an hour from where I am living now as I do have a descent job that I will need to keep, also I am planning to do this off grid. Anyone with in an hour or two of me willing to help me out with suggestions and such? Anyone?

Thanks
Tricia

Nylacreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Default Re: Yurts in Vermont and NH

Hi Tricia,

You might want to contact the Gillian and Russell at Metta Earth Institute. They've been using our yurts in Vermont for the past 18 years.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

two girls farm in acworth build and sell yurts. i don't have my yurt yet, but they have been great to talk to through email, and their website is useful. good luck!
beachcomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Vermont is yurt friendly but as I understand it so is NH.
Contact

White Mountain Yurts

for info
Also Depends on the town many times and the permitting. My town is different than the next town.
Good luck, feel free to contact me with further questions
I am in Barre, I think a bit too far for your purposes
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi everyone, we're planning on putting up a deck to hold our 28' yurt on family land, in Morrisville VT - any clues on getting a permit for our yurt? Our spot is on a clearing that will have a house at some point, so we're there in the mean time. Any ideas on how to get a home made yurt permitted with the town? Thanks,

Hoopy
Hoop Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

Your town doesn't need to know that it's a home made yurt. Just apply for a building permit. They are more concerned with distance from boundaries of your property/road/neighbors.
If you are going to be building a permanent home on this same spot( not next to or near) that could get tricky. Depending on when you are building, I said I was building a studio first and then the home. My yurt/ studio, became my permanent home.
Also if you are planning on using a composting toilet, Vermont does not approve of composting toilets. They will want you to have a septic system. Not all towns are the same some have stricter regulations, so if you know any neighbors I would ask them about their experiences.
Good luck
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

That's a good point about them not needing to know it's homemade. The idea with our little spot is to give us a temporary place to get the yurt up and live in it for a few years, with a house being put there sometime after, BUT they'll put in the septic and hook up power (no idea how, from what I've read maybe we should build a little shed to put it on, just call it all a 'camp') so what we're looking at is heading to the Town Clerk with a proposal for a deck to put a temporary structure on. Essentially a deer camp, maybe with a shed. Again, any and all ideas are very welcome! We've both grown up around here, in Stowe and Morrisville. Other towns nearby have no building restrictions, but there are definitely yurts in our towns - permanent ones.

Thanks everyone
-Hoopster
Hoop Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #8
Administrator

One thing they are really interested in is snow load, engineered plans, septic and electric.

Insulation

will be a huge factor also, if you tell them it will be a residence.

You are probably better off with the camp route.
Hoop Girl likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

I like yurt. During long traveling yurt is very effective. One of my friends recently bought one and I'm looking forward to ask him, where in NH yurt is easy to get.
jiean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None