Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Yurts & Lightnings

Old 09-27-2021, 03:31 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Addict

Question Yurts & lightnings

Discussing this issue some days before in an other thread (about an metal ring in an Yurt....), the opinions about ran a little bit different.

On this reason I´m starting this extra theme.

Three quotes from the mentioned thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSRalex View Post
Additional to my question about the expectations (advantages) of a metal ring:

Do nobody concern about lightnings?

I can imagine, that a lightning would love an big metal ring on the top of the Yurt more than a wooden ring - but that are only unprofessional thoughts by an bloody amateur in this field....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
If everything else connected to it is not a conductor, then it shouldn't be an issue I would think. People use metal roofing all the time without it attracting lightning. The metal itself isn't really grounded.

A tree may attract lightning because it is full of sap/water that leads to the ground, but that is not the case if you are using wooden rafters connecting to a metal ring.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
..... my first thought about metal ring was lightning. I googled it. I don't understand the reasoning, but supposedly lightning striking a yurt is not a danger. .....
I tried to find out more details and my searches brought me to some sites and I want to share the information:

The best information was:

https://freedomresidence.com/is-it-s...tay-in-a-yurt/

Some quotes from this site:

+++++
> Unlike metal constructions such as container homes and some mobile homes, yurts are more vulnerable to a direct lightning strike, but they will not attract lightning, either.
> The general assumption that metal attracts lightning is greatly exaggerated. A conductive object is only going to attract lightning if it’s already about to strike the very nearby vicinity. In reality, a 10-foot tall metal construction will only attract lightning bolts that are within 10 feet of it.
> Nonetheless, that does mean yurts (being made from wood and fabric) are slightly less likely to attract a lightning bolt than some other types of buildings. The bad news is that they are also much more exposed in case they do get hit.
While metal buildings will work as a Faraday cage and direct the electrical energy into the ground, yurts are likely to be caught on fire and/or get destroyed by a lightning strike.
> Lightning striking your yurt is extremely unlikely to ever happen. However, if you want the peace of mind, one way to protect your home is to set up a lightning rod. This is a tall metal rod that will attract the (nearby) lightning to it and protect the yurt as it leads the electricity into the ground.
+++++

Perhaps you have different interpretations than I do, but to me it seems that lightning protection is generally neglected in camping.

But it should be an issue - out of responsibility towards users of tent buildings, but also because of possible liability issues and the protection of one's own investments.

Now my question goes to the "How to install a lightning rod on an Yurt?" .

We had an thread in 2018, where some interesting details and pics was shared:

https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/bui...ield-1415.html

Resulting from these information my final questions for this opening posting:

A) Does it make sense to install the lightning rod on an Yurt via the chimney?

B) How installing the lightning rod on an Yurt if no chimney is available?

TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurts & lightnings

TSRalex, thanks for the details.

I was required by building code to install a ten foot long copper grounding rod next to our house. I remember I drove it into the ground and the electrician clamped it to something metal, it might have been the main service pipe at the house. We had a direct strike, but it was on the roof at the opposite end of the house. The electic panel was within feet of that rod but no damage was done to the panel. A couple breakers that handled current down on the end where the lightning hit, tripped.

My yurt was up for several years. The stove pipe stack was a few feet above the yurt ring. Far as I know there were no lightning strikes. Considering what happened to the house roof I think there would have been evidence of a hit.

For whatever reason there seem to be alot of lightning strikes around here. That might just be my perception since I hate lightning anywhere near me. I have a habit of counting seconds between seeing a bolt and hearing the crack.

The AFA airfield is about three miles from us.. There is a very prominent vocal recording from the command center that warns, 'Lightning has been observed within five nautical miles. Seek shelter immediately'. So they take it pretty serious within five miles and so do I.

I read about flying aircraft and the a Faraday cage effect but that's beyond my pay grade.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 09-27-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None