Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Search Forums
Advanced Search

Yurt In A Greenhouse?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: northern Ontario
Posts: 22
Default yurt in a greenhouse?

We're awaiting delivery of a Groovyyurt and anticipating an adventurous winter of living in it in northern Ontario. We're also trying to establish various types of gardens and plan to build a greenhouse sometime soon. The thought of building one big enough to house our yurt and to have the 'waste' heat of the yurt provide some heat to the greenhouse occurred to me. I guess the big concern would be the reduced breathability and what effects that may have on the canvas. And felt. In my imagination, we are able to step out of our yurt in January and leisurely stroll around the lush greenery that thrives in the buffer zone of the greenhouse. Pretty silly, huh?

Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:59 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington/Idaho
Posts: 288
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

Hmm. I like the thinking--it's good thermodynamics. But I'd be worried about the humidity in the greenhouse promoting rot in the yurt materials (cotton canvas, eventually wool felt, plus mildew on wood)--I don't know at what humidity level this would happen though.

My other thought is what about summer--would you take the yurt out of the greenhouse/vent the greenhouse a lot? Or are your summer highs not too high?

I've seen some very reasonably priced geodesic greenhouses/row covers. I've also seen designs for 'underground' greenhouses. Don't know if either of those match your needs/resources though.
Groovyyurts and Zelig like this.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
GroovyYurts - Authentic Mongolian yurts
Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: northern Ontario
Posts: 22
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hierony View Post
Hmm. I like the thinking--it's good thermodynamics. But I'd be worried about the humidity in the greenhouse promoting rot in the yurt materials (cotton canvas, eventually wool felt, plus mildew on wood)--I don't know at what humidity level this would happen though.

My other thought is what about summer--would you take the yurt out of the greenhouse/vent the greenhouse a lot? Or are your summer highs not too high?

I've seen some very reasonably priced geodesic greenhouses/row covers. I've also seen designs for 'underground' greenhouses. Don't know if either of those match your needs/resources though.
Yeah, the humidity would be the main concern. The summer heat can be alleviated by shade cloth, venting, etc but it may still be too warm. Our winter's here are quite dry and I'm not sure how humid it would be. I doubt we'd be able to sustain warm enough temps through the cold months for growing, so plant transpiration wouldn't likely contribute much

moisture

to the air.

Thanks for your response. I really like your posts and the thought you apply to this forum.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #4
Manufacturer Representative
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Montreal, QC, Canada
Posts: 67
Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelig View Post
Thanks for your response. I really like your posts and the thought you apply to this forum.
agreed :-)

humidity could indeed be a problem if ventilation is limited under the greenhouse. Just a couple thoughts quickly - we'll have time to discuss when we meet next week.

- what about simply connecting the ger's main door to the green house? It does deceive part of the initial purpose of collecting the heat (you have a double layer of felt though), but would allow you to roam in the green house when getting out of the yurt and reduce heat loss while the door is open, a little bit like a mud room.
- I would definitely think of having the yurt out of teh green house in the Summer
- If you try the yurt inside, maybe one could think of having the toono (dome) opening connected to the outside one way or the other

Busy finishing to load the groovy truck... and looking forward to meet next week!
Zelig likes this.
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Washington/Idaho
Posts: 288
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

I stalked the forums for a while before actually joining/posting--it was nice to see other people's problems, ideas, and solutions for yurts. So now I try to add to the discussion where I think my science/physics background and reading can help :P I'm glad you guys appreciate it.

Good point on the winter-time humidity, btw. From what I've read, above 70% relative humidity at room temp is where mold/mildew problems start. I don't know if this is because of the absolute amount of

moisture

in the air or because of condensation on cold surfaces making liquid water.

But with Yve's wool felt doubled up, I imagine you'll be as warm as an eskimo in an igloo :P
Zelig likes this.

Last edited by hierony; 05-13-2015 at 06:43 PM.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,321
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

Mold grows on all organic materials in climates that are continuously damp. Decomposition is a natural part of the cycle of life.
Zelig likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: northern Ontario
Posts: 22
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovyyurts View Post
- what about simply connecting the ger's main door to the green house? It does deceive part of the initial purpose of collecting the heat (you have a double layer of felt though), but would allow you to roam in the green house when getting out of the yurt and reduce heat loss while the door is open, a little bit like a mud room.
- I would definitely think of having the yurt out of teh green house in the Summer
- If you try the yurt inside, maybe one could think of having the toono (dome) opening connected to the outside one way or the other

Busy finishing to load the groovy truck... and looking forward to meet next week!
Thanks, Yves.

Connecting the yurt and greenhouse may be a challenge with frost heaving, so I think I'd prefer the brief exposure to the elements between structures.

Rather than connecting the toono to the outside I thought that having the chimney act as a summer vent would bring fresh air through the yurt. I'd need the chimney in the winter anyway and it could be removed from the woodstove so that the chimney starts near to the toono height.

We woke up to several inches of snow the other day, so if you could squeeze some warmer weather into the 'Groovy Truck' that'd be appreciated.
Jafo likes this.
Zelig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #8
Administrator
 
Jafo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,990
Default Re: yurt in a greenhouse?

Don't forget to take some "Groovy" pics of your install!
Zelig likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
groovy yurts

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 PM.


Yurt Forum | Buying a Yurt | Building a Yurt | Yurt Life | Yurts for Sale | Yurt Glamping | Yurts Pricing Yurt Calculators | Yurt Insurance | Yurt Insulation | Yurt Classifieds

Copyright 2012 - 2017 Jeff Capron Inc.

Yurt Posts Delivered to your Email!

Stay up-to-date with all the new yurt posts to your inbox!

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]