Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Wood Stove Type And Size

Old 08-26-2020, 10:27 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Wood stove type and size

So I have a new 24ft yurt put up in western NY and am in the market for a new wood stove. I’m really interested in the hybrid wood stoves due to the long burn times and overall efficiency. I just reserved a Woodstock soapstone absolute steel hybrid stove and I’m second guessing my choice. I’m worried it might be to big for my space and cook me out. Also, the rep from Woodstock says I might not be able to boil water on this stove. Does anyone have experience with this stove? Or, would anyone have experience with stove BTUs and burn times for a 24’ yurt? Also, can you cook on hybrid (cat) stoves?

Clarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Wood stove type and size

I have that exact stove, see my thread here: https://www.yurtforum.com/forums/yur...-yurt-933.html

I have my yurt in Herkimer County NY and can tell you that you are not oversized at all. Yurts are a bear to heat so more is better IMO. You cannot beat that stove either. Very nice. When you engage the catalytic converter, it gives you a fine grained control over the heat. The tighter you set the draft, the cooler the stove will be (and the longer the burn will be).

I have cooked on mine quite a bit in the winter, but I use my gas range in the summer. You can definitely boil water on it, but it does take a while longer than on a range.

The only thing I think you should be aware of is that this stove is significantly heavier than your average wood stove, so have some strong backs with you the day you go to move it in. I took every part of it off that I could to move it with my son, who is no lightweight.

I also highly recommend the heat shield. You can then get it much closer to the walls. Also the outdoor air kit works well for the yurt and lessens drafts significantly.
Bob Rowlands likes this.

Last edited by Jafo; 08-27-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 08-27-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Now THAT is an informative post. Thanks Jafo!
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:28 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Wow! Thank you! This is my first post on any forum and you just saved me a month of worrying! How is this stove as far as draft needed? My pipe will run straight up from the stove and exit in the center of the yurt. I’m guessing the pipe will be about 14-15 ft...
Jafo likes this.
Clarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Wow! Thank you! This is my first post on any forum and you just saved me a month of worrying! How is this stove as far as draft needed? My pipe will run straight up from the stove and exit in the center of the yurt. I’m guessing the pipe will be about 14-15 ft...
The longer the pipe, the better your draft will be. Mine goes through the wall and has a pretty good draft.

If you are going to put it into the center then you may not need the heat shield.

My brother and I just cleaned out the chimney this weekend. It is starting to get cool here.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Yup, the nip of fall is in the air early in the A.M. Aspens getting some color.
Jafo likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:54 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

We researched the Woodstock stoves and that one looks like an excellent choice.
Our 20 ft

Pacific Yurts

yurt at 7500 ft elevation in western New Mexico is heated adequately by a small Morsø stove (made in Denmark, not catalytic but does have a secondary burn design for efficiency), but it has to be refilled several times during a cold night. On the other hand our nearby house, a tightly insulated double-wide from 2018 vintage, is well served by a Blaze King catalytic which allows for an overnight slow burn if using high-density wood.
Definitely recommend an external air intake if you can route it in - much safer if your yurt is tightly sealed.
Good luck! -Eric Metzler
Ewmetzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None