Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Spiritual Evolution In The Yurt

Old 02-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Spiritual evolution in the yurt

Hey all,

There's a dimension of yurt living that interests me perhaps more than any other - and that's a spiritual one.

I have always been interested in living in a round house - circles just inspire me and being within one gives me a special feeling of being held, even nurtured within that space.

When I finished my first yurt last year, my favourite part was perhaps first opening my eyes in the morning and seeing a type of mandala above me. All those straight rafters, leading the gaze straight up to that perfect circle. I could lose myself for lengthy periods of time, captivated by the perfection and infinite sort of quality of the circular crown.Spending the first moments of the day in such contemplation and appreciation could well invite a more profound way of looking at the world through the day I feel.

I think yurts are also amazing ways to live closer to nature, which is a Spiritual catalyst in itself. The sounds of the birds, bees, and breeze in the trees, rustles in the bushes and owls hooting at night. Waking up with the first rays of sun, pouring in through the sky light, and going to bed by the flicker of candle light - at least for those who've experienced real back-to-basics style yurt living...

I can only imagine that yurts have played a big part in other people's Spiritual awakening or development and I'd love to hear your stories here if you'd be willing to share, dear fellows of the yurt community!

I'd also kindly ask that since Spirituality is deeply personal that everyone can be heard here fairly, without judgement. Whilst some may not even believe in spiritual dimensions, others may have experienced life changing journeys. Often opening up about our experiences gives permission for others to do the same. Let's celebrate that diversity, and honour one another's unique experiences.

With Thanks,

Charlie

Yurts_latvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 11:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Spiritual evolution in the yurt

I know that feeling when you wake up to the rafters.. It is magical. My yurt is the one magical place I love to go to. In fact, I am snowshoeing to mine tomorrow and I simply cannot wait to get there.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 02-08-2022, 05:36 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Sometimes in the morning when first waking up, I imagine I’m living under a mushroom. Not sure why that makes me happy. Just whimsical and close to nature, I guess.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 04:42 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Even though our Yurt is in a small town in Idaho one of the really cool things is we can hear the trains that are going through the town.

Yurts are unique and special living domiciles.

Chris
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:40 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks all for sharing!

Yes, the idea about a giant mushroom hadn't occurred to me but I can see exactly what you mean - the rafters are very much like the radiating gills from the center of a mushroom!

It's really nice to know others also enjoy the geometry and special atmosphere that a yurt space provides.

It also feels really cool that as I'm going in to making yurts for others, that I'm providing not just a beautiful roof and walls, but a unique mandala-like chamber for deep experiences to come about.
Yurts_latvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 02:38 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey all,
I couldn't agree more. My wife & I are empty nesters. In 2017 our youngest joined the Army straight out of high school. A year or so before we had nearly a full house, caring for my mother who suffers from Alzheimer's & has since been placed in assisted living. It was just the two of us in a home that had been my dream to have built all around the recording studio in a daylight basement. A house with a complete appartment with its own kitchen bath, etc. A home theater with a bar. 8 bedrooms 4 and a half baths, and just over 5k sq ft. For two people! After the 1st year of living in that monster with just us, we both knew something had to change. I saw the pandemic shaping up to be ugly. I wasn't sure just how bad it was going to get or how bad the public would be led to believe it was. I just knew if we didn't sell then we might not be in a position to later.
We opted to get out of the house & try to find a peice of land closer to our shops. The house was a 45min drive for my wife. Being a recording artist I had the ability to work where ever my studio was. We found a beautiful property cutting the drive to 7min. I was trying to decide what to build. I had been interested in doing a build with shipping containers. I bought a 40'high cube for storage & a 20' high to setup a make shift studio. With plans on added to it later. Once the pandemic was full swing the ability to find containers was gone. My son actually was the first to mention the idea of building a yurt. I blew it off, thinking it wasnt something meant for year round living, more so in the evergreen state. We kept coming back to it though. My wife and I did a walk through of a couple and I fell in love with the circle! We are still working on it, but we are living in it and I love it. I fell closer to nature & by extension closer to God as well. Times got tough for everyone. Somehow we both found a peace. We go on walks daily with our two dogs, as I walk through paths made by deer's & gaze at the forest that surrounds me i feel a closeness to my creator that i hadn't had before. I am not referring to any type of organized religion. Its more personal than that. Listening to the birds sing as the wind blows through the overgrowth I can often feel angelic eyes up on me. It might sound crazy but I feel like I am part of something much larger as apposed to my old way of seeing the world through blinders. The Yurt has changed my point of view on creation as well as my role within it. I feel as though I am growing as a person. I have a long way to go, but it becomes easier to embrace change when you notice change is needed. I still need to figure out how to build the loft. That problem is a bit of a set back to my peace. Lol I have never been a builder, I'm a singer songwriter, I have had to hire out help with projects that were outside my field, but finding contractors that have worked on yurts & are within my zip code has proven difficult so far.
Other than that, I am truely happy here. I love the yurt life.
Brian
Bsonneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:15 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the story.

You're an artist. Yurts appeal to artists.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:39 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Thanks for the story.

You're an artist. Yurts appeal to artists.
Thank you my friend. I am truly loving the Yurt life. I still need to find someone near by that knows how to build a loft. Lol it will happen! I have faith.
Bsonneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 10:44 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Just so you know, a yurt loft would be an easy build for a carpenter.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 01:17 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

hi, i completely have the same feeling about living in a yurt. i thought you may appreciate a book called ancient chinese cosmology. they have a nice section about yurts and spirituality. i imagine there are other books that contain such information too!
elisha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None

« Full time living | - »