Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

San Luis Valley CO Usa

Old 07-11-2015, 04:59 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default San Luis valley CO usa

Does anyone live in a yurt in slv, costilla county? Is it permitted and how was getting it permitted?

If this would be more suitable in another sub please move. Thanks

rob.maxwell.89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:15 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: San Luis valley CO usa

i have the same question, where are you from ?
fightinfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

I got a rental in Alamosa a year ago and working here. Moved here from Durango. Colorado native
Old 08-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

ok, great ! i just thought you were an old friend that had that same name. I'm also looking into doing the yurt thing in the san luis valley. My understanding is a cistern is best for water? Sewar I'm not so sure about, and i was thinking solar panels. I'm trying to find out information about the land zoning, etc from the county. any luck ??

link: https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cos...ning-resources

i was reading some news articles from last year and sounds like the county has some issues, etc.........
Old 08-02-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Septic is a must to be legal its really one of the first steps in the code which is kind of bs honestly. And a yurt isn't going to be permitted any time soon from my understanding. Matt Valdez the land admin wouldn't even get back to me on my yurt design. They don't want people who are poor living out there. But I decided to roll with the punches and make some investments so I can contribute more to the econ than i planned and still bought land but waiting to build for now...
Old 08-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

thanks for the tips ! GOOD LUCK !
Old 08-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

I just read an article and watched a video about uptick in problems in the area. I suggest others do the same to get an idea of what is going on there. copy and paste:

Matt Valdez land administrator San Luis valley

The San Luis valley is traditionally a rural, agricultural, conservative, area. Newcomers are coming in and buying relatively cheap land. Interestingly this upturn in population has followed legalization of marijuana in CO.

Many newcoming 'gypsys' living in trailers and other temporary dwellings. Emphasis on temporary, by law. Of course everyone needs water, and a place to poop, and that is septic, well and permanent.

Deeper into this, I'm thinking some of the newcomers are building greenhouses and growing pot, since it is now legal in Colorado, and we are talking real money here. Reefer in Co legally sells for $100 to $200 and more, an oz. from 'green cross' dispensaries. All you need is doctors medical permission and you can buy pot.

Pot requires lots of water. What used to be minimal water use, has now increased with some people coming in and filling 1000 gallon tanks. For watering pot? Maybe, I wouldn't know but it is quite possible. Big money has always been an incentive for growing and distribution. jmo

This is a touchy political subject, and I sure as hell am glad I am not Matt Valdez, or a cop. I don't have a strong opinion about this because I know little about the situation. However, for sure, the days of rural people pretty much doing what they want in the west are long gone.

I'm thinking the 'land administrator' Matt Valdez sees yurts as potentially more 'pot' growing hippies, druggies looking to make big money off dope. The locals are antis, and want it stopped. Regs are the way to stop a transient population. An influx of drug people following the money has gotta be a huge headache. That is how I read it anyway. It is most definitely a touchy subject.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

thanks for sharing ! i also found a few news articles from last year. I've heard there is a problem with drugs/crime over all in this rural area. Sad, it has potential for some great off the grid opportunities !

Tags
None