Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Powering the Yurt
Advanced Search

Connecting Yurt To The Grid

Old 09-27-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Connecting Yurt to the Grid

Hi all!

I am new here and have been finding many of these posts quite helpful! Looking for some advice at hooking our 24'Pacific Yurt up to electricity. We are setting it up on a property that has on-grid power access. There is one other tiny home on the property as well.

My first question is whether we should use an RV power type hookup or wire the yurt in using more traditional methods?

We are not planning on moving the yurt, but folks have advised us setting up an RV type hookup would be a lot simpler for novice electricians....but others have told us it would be way more expensive to go this route...any advice appreciated!

My other question is about hooking in to the existing panel on the property.

I've been doing lots of research about all this, but one thing I am still confused by is how to connect in to the existing panel. I've attached a photo of the panel, where the other tiny house on the property is already hooked in to the lower right 30 amp service.

The other circuits aren't labeled very well, but I believe the other top right 30 amp service is only connected to an electrical outlet on the outside of the post the panel is attached to. I'm assuming it would be easiest to disconnect this outlet and hook up to this other 30amp service? Then we could use a standard RV hookup, but our yurt just wouldn't be able to exceed 30amps at one time, right?

Thanks in advance and I apologize if these questions are a bit stupid.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1340.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1231  
pnwyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Connecting Yurt to the Grid

I think it's a great question. All of the yurts I have lived in have been without power. I would love to see what people say.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 09-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Administrator

I am not an electrician, but I think you are on the right track by installing it right and avoiding the RV install.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:32 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Keep in mind you are dealing with primary electrical service, and even a small service can easily hurt or kill you if you goof the install. Percsonally, I would >'NEVER'< >'EVER'< cobble together some electrical service to save a few bucks. In my view a primary service should absolutely be installed by a bonafide electrician. jmo
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote