Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Everything Else
Advanced Search

Living In A Homestead Community

Old 03-07-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Living in a Homestead Community

Hi Guys, I’m new to this forum. I’m not sure where to post this, please let me know if I should have this moved. I just thought some of you might be interested in this.

Did you ever watch the tv show Frontier House? The idea of this is somewhat similar – but with no cameras, less drama, and for a much longer period of time. There are certain requirements which I will not discuss on this board.

The purpose of the non-profit Homestead Community, or, the Community, is to organize a group of like-minded people in creating a conglomerate of households living a basic way of life, meant to bring the members closer to each other, closer to traditional values, and closer to nature. It is hoped that the Community will provide a good environment for children to grow up in, for neighbors to help one another, and to feel satisfied with daily endeavors. The Community will be loosely based on the Homestead Act of 1862 meaning that all members will live within similar means as the peoples of that time. The Community will be responsible as a whole for stewardship and improvement of the whole lot of land, of which no one parcel will be owned by no one entity. The land will be distributed amongst its members; however no one member has a sole claim to it or any one parcel - only the right to permanently reside there. The Community will be a place designed for neighbors to help neighbors – to connect on a deeper level, and to persevere through trying times. Modern day society is unsustainable, and it is my belief that if certain modern technologies had progressed to the point that they are at today, while lifestyles had remained sustainable and agriculturally based such as those of the pre-1900s, therein might lie the correct formula for creating a near-perfect, - and at least extremely rewarding - society.

I believe that many of you have dreamed about doing something like this. Maybe you thought of making your own little House on the Prairie, or living your own merrier version of Old Yeller. The truth is, for a single person or family to actually do it is extremely difficult and expensive. With a community we will not only be able to purchase a proportionately much larger piece of land – but we will also be able to learn from each other, rely on each other, and share our experiences together. Only with human resources can such a lifestyle truly be sustainable. If you have always dreamed of living a basic, rustic, off-grid, environmentally friendly lifestyle – this might just be the place for you.

Oh, also just a fair warning – this is not intended to be some type of Earth Mother hippy stuff, where people will just lounge and smoke. This is intended to be a hardworking community, requiring down to earth people.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, please pass this information on.

Marshall Eppley and Knecht like this.

Last edited by Jafo; 03-07-2015 at 10:48 PM.
homesteadcommunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Living in a Homestead Community

I watched 'Frontier House' when it first aired in 2002. While enjoyable, it made me reflect on just how easy we have it now. Unimproved homesteading is for young adults. I had something of that mindset three decades ago, but now I'm 60 and very much enjoy plumbing and power. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 03-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
I watched 'Frontier House' when it first aired in 2002. While enjoyable, it made me reflect on just how easy we have it now. Unimproved homesteading is for young adults. I had something of that mindset three decades ago, but now I'm 60 and very much enjoy plumbing and power. Good luck.
Hehe, ya I bet. This idea definitely aint for all.

Ive lived in rural communities in 3rd world countries, and worked side by side with the locals. Places without running water, modern medicine, entertainment - and often nothing but a blanket for warmth! It makes you appreciate what weve got.

Oh, did I mention that in this community you can live in a yurt if you so wish? ;D
homesteadcommunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

In the last few years my appreciation of hot water and warm dry air has increased by a magnitude. lol
Old 03-24-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

hi bob, would like to know if you got a yurt homestead going and where? thanks a lot.
naomiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Hi naomiex,

Well thanks for asking, that brightened my return from a hard day at work. Nope no homestead, I just wanted to build something round after 4 decades building square stuff. lol The yurt is just my getaway and a place for grandkids to hang out. I think a handful of photos are on here under my name and 'Home made yurt'.

As for homesteading, there are three families in this neighborhood starting to raise chickens, llamas, sheep, and ducks. I'm actually considering building a coop and a pen. Lots of coyotes here. One neighbor just built a greenhouse half buried in the hill next to his house. Plus our next door neighbor has two horses. Build a yurt and suddenly I'm being surrounded by homesteader wannabes.

Have a good day.
Marshall Eppley likes this.

Tags
None