Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt In Denmark ?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:24 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt in Denmark ?

Say you buy a 36' yurt (now that is truly a very massive yurt) and install it atop a platform. Then a few years down the road decide a house is the next step, which is commonplace amongst yurt dwellers. Now you will have a very oddball, very massive tent that very few will have the slightest interest in buying. I believe 30' yurt is the big boy in the yurt line up for a reason. It's a tent, not a house. Bigger then that is a BIG mistake. That's just my opinion. Two 6 to 7 meter yurts is a whole lot better idea. Again this is just my opinion. I think a 6 meter yurt is the PERFECT size for a portable, moveable, go anywhere, nomadic yurt.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:21 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Member

I agree. I live full time in my 6m yurt and I'm glad I didn't build anything bigger.
I am building a 30 foot one, but that's for a workshop.
YurterRT and Hey Bulldog like this.
Drunken hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 08-21-2018, 07:41 PM   #13
Administrator

The larger than 30' yurts I have seen are VERY expensive. Of course there is generally much more in materials too. You are talking about a very large space that has to be supported. Seeing as how there are no walls in a yurt, you can imagine why the engineering and material costs must rise to meet that design goal.
YurterRT likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:18 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Vi vil sa gerne laver dit yurt!
We ship internationally! We have a 15 year Manufacturers Warranty on our yurts. Not just the cover!

Nomad Shelter, Inc. is an Alaskan company. We have been building yurts for over 25 years. Our yurts are extreme weather strong and worthy of the shipping to Denmark.
Our sizes start at 12' Diameter and go all the way to 50' Diameter. Tested in Alaskan Weather. Year round living, comfort and aesthetics.

Nomadshelter.com
907-299-0132 Call me for further info...or email.

* I have been working for Nomad Shelter for two years now. Living in a yurt for over a year. Loving every minute.
Avangaline Hull
[email protected]
YurterRT likes this.
Nomad Shelter AK Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:15 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

I will elaborate on Jafo's comment about rafter length and yurt diameter. If you have no interest in this techie stuff read no further.

Mongolian trad yurts of size say 6M and up have supports (bagana) under the ring to help support the load. The dinky poles used as rafters have very little load bearing strength. The only way to make up for the lack of strength is through redundancy. In many Mongolian trad yurts the poles are on 6"-8" centers at the lath wall, sitting on every lath cross. That means there literally are several dozen rafters in a larger yurt. In addition the yurt ring has supports under it bearing the roof load.

House trusses can free span large areas due to engineering in them. They may be made of 2x4s and 2x6s, but the members act as a unit. That's the advantage of truss engineering. It is incredibly strong in comparison to a simple rafter, board or pole. In my own home I have trusses spanning 32 feet, on two foot centers. There's way less materail in there, and it is WAY stronger, thanks to engineering.

Trying to span say 16' with a 2x12 on 16" centers is pushing the limit of roof loading. Beyond that distance engineered 'I' beam joists are used. Way stronger. In fact all houses now have I beam joists and trusses. Very few have cut roofs with dimensional lumber. With few exceptions primarily on smaller homes with a vaulted LR ceiling that pretty much disappeared in res construction by 2000.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
Yurt Forum Addict

Totally off topic.

It blows my mind driving through a big city, like Denver CO, and marveling at the engineering in our public highway bridges overpasses and interchanges. The engineering and basic standards we always take for granted are really incredible. Everyone cusses the inconvenience of highway work, including me at times. But the structural and safety standards? Just another reason I LOVE the USA.
Old 08-26-2018, 12:05 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
Totally off topic.
Yes - my posting now too.

I´m assuming your thoughts was at the bridge accident in Genova last week. OK, it has happen in Europe, but Denmark - as this thread is focused to - has IMHO higher standards in safety checks than Italy - from this side absolutely wrong thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
But the structural and safety standards? Just another reason I LOVE the USA.
Be not too proud Bob:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/02/us/02bridge.html

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/15/u...pse/index.html
YurterRT likes this.
TSRalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Addict

No I was unaware of the bridge incident. As for big city highway infrastructure here in the U.S., it is mind blowing superb. Lets just say there ain't four bag mud going into the bridges and overpasses where six bag mud is called for. The mud is tested on the spot on site. And there's a mind numbing quantity of coated rebar. With but VERY few exceptions, fails happen elsewhere, not here. We have EXTREME standards here, and by God they are met. No shenanigans.
Old 08-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Speaking of shenanigans: to recommend any roof system whatever, you would have to know the max snow and wind loads in their area of Denmark. And how many dance parties do the occupants plan to throw on the roof? Yearly temperature range? Desired U-value? Danish building codes?

Indigenous architecture (yurts/gers fall into that category) is not the same as residential construction as it is now practiced in the US. One can use rafters much stronger than 2x12, for example. Or tap into the Modern Technology of engineered lumber. Look closely at the "redundant engineering" of both types of yurt, and you may be surprised to find how much the rafter poles, as a group, contribute to resisting compressive and lateral forces on the structure. I remember from Groovy's website that even the wool

insulation

wrapping the yurts acted as further "muscle" to support the structure, in the opinion of examining engineers from their area.

Hierony's prodile shows a cool yurt that was made in Hungary by Adorjan Yurts. So there's at least one maker in Europe.
If a person is somewhat handy, a self-build may be reasonable. Or a partial one: make the rafters or the wall yourself, in close contact with the manufacturer, and save the $ spent shipping all those wooden pieces overseas.

Surely Yurts

was willing to sell me just a roof, for example.
Yes, it's even possible to self-build the "modern" vinyl yurt. I had a book on the subject written by a company which has since closed. Or you might improve a traditional-style yurt with more "modern" infrastructure/insulation.
All kinds of good solutions. My opinion is that a ger or yurt is in general a nicer place to live than a shed or very tiny flat (admittedly I haven't tried the shed).
Hey Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

um...profile. Oops!
I mention these things because Oslo came in first on a list of the world's priciest cities in which to live. Oslo (Norway)!

Maybe the real estate market in Denmark is so bleak that Danes are getting creative when they seek decent housing. Which is, or should be, a human right.
Hey Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None