Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Looking To Get Idea Of Cost

Old 02-07-2020, 03:14 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Looking to get idea of cost

Hi I live in Connecticut and have very little knowledge about yurts. I am looking to put one in my backyard for a single person full time living situation. Preferably made of wood,

insulation

, solar powered as I think it would be too difficult to attach power to my house. Also, how do people hook up water for showers? Just a rough idea of cost would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your time and consideration

Color is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Looking to get idea of cost

Well solid wood yurts are generally expensive, but more code friendly (to the naked eye).

Freedom Yurt Cabins

have a price list for the yurt itself here:

https://www.freedomyurtcabins.com/sale/

Again, those are much pricier than architectural yurts which are wood framed, but vinyl/polyester skinned, you see with other companies like

Pacific Yurts

and

Colorado Yurts

. These can usually pass most code rules.

With traditional yurts you may find having a hard time getting code approval in bigger towns/cities when it comes to hooking up utilities.

As for all the other work such as hooking up water, electric, etc., those should be basically the same as it would be for any structure.

Last edited by Jafo; 02-07-2020 at 08:20 PM.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 02-13-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Hello my name is James, you have and open ended question there on cost, and who is this yurt for, can they climb steps,

To answer your question about cost tho, it can be as cheap as you make it or expensive, I have been in yurt that I would not sit down on there gold plated couches, and also the other extreme cause I thought something was going to eat me, but that is where people are in there lives so it was the best yurt for them, there are no wrong yurts, but if you want it self containe look into sand point well/driven well they have a couple of names check your code most sand point well do not need a permit, just time and you will get in shape, I know most people will tell you not to put anything in the middle but, if you put a bathroom in the middle the bed ontop like a loft, then you can put a kithcen a living room and stuff around the bathroom hook your water up just like your house look for a composting toilet or a whole house flush composting toilet I have those really cool you flush it like a toilet then it goes to a composter, collect your other water bath water sink water etc in a 55 gallon drum and use it on your garden, if you get rabbit there poop is great fertilizer and most city will not care if you get them , now you have a source of meat, or you can sell them as pet, its the poop you reallly want, with the sand point or driven well same thing I have 4 supplying my house but I just have to treat my water for lyme, its also the water table is only 25 feet down I hit water at 10 and I have 4 65 foot sand point well connected together and I have 800 gallons of filter water for the house that the well keep full, solar is a very good source of power but if you build a electricless water fall the pumps work off the energy of the falling water and you can use a water generator very cool,

or you can forget all that , build and outhouse run a garden hose thru the door, and use battery operated lights and thru a cot in there,

you see there is no wrong yurts unless you let someone else tell you how to decorate your yurt, we can give you advise on how we done it, but you must make the yurt yours

good luck on this wonderful adventure and I wish you the best of health
YurterRT likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Hi Color. There is a recent thread on the forum entitled 'Zoning issue!!' You might want to read that if you live in a city and are considering adding another residence in your back yard.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 10:54 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Just got home from neighborhood get together about a zoning issue that is effecting this area. Upshot is (imo) aside from all the blah blah blah talk tonight there isn't a snowballs chance in hell the city gonna do anything beside what they want to do, which is get additional funds from going commercial zoning in a residential area. Prelim. meeting next Tues. They look at this complaint about that and laugh soon as the doors close when we exit, I guarantee. Money talks 99.9% of the time and that is that.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:54 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Wrong thread Bob. lol
Old 02-21-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

But interesting, Columbus Ohio does the same thing
Old 02-21-2020, 10:12 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Totally off topic for yurt forum.

It's all about money, especially when it comes to gov't, and there just ain't never near enough zeros in the till. We have ZERO chance of defeating this city annex/ re zone to 'commercial'' intrusion into the nw corner of our 'residential subdivision' platted in 1958, way out in the county then, and now 52 years later and 7X the population, STILL in the county, but now totally surrounded by city. Like ocean around island. City annexed the corner that was a house, and in goes a church, and then a NEW church, which needed cyuity water and sewer

Now the next two hiouses got bought as commercial private drug alcohol rehab biz. Church arehab next door. lol What a combo huh?

The rehab center wants to expand its bed capacity from beds in two houses, to a new building that will bed two dozen additional beds. To do that requires more then well and septic. The city got water and sewer to church, and now expand to the two adjacent houses plus a rezone, and off course cash flow into city coffers. The rehab biz ALREADY(!) bought the private residential property for 2.5 million. City made it a done deal beforehand, ain't nobody gonna drop 2.5 mill on a 'guess so'. We never notified of that until after the fact, just this week, gonna get them some REAL money now. lol

This neighborhood can't all go "Hey Jack- no drug/alky center in our backyard." That's discrimination nowadays. You got >zero< traction with that. I mean zero basis tell you right up front that's discrimination, and predicting what MIGHT happen, (yeah right) not what HAS happened.

So we is brainstorming to come up with ideas before next Tuesday. I KNOW none of it gonna amount to a hill of beans, we won't get further listen past next Tuesday. That'll be that and that's it. So this VERY QUIET subdivision gonna be seeing odd vehicle lights shining outsidenow. We 'just be checkin it out ..no whut I mean'. We have NONE of that now.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:05 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Member

Bob you forgot about the needle's you will be picking them up to, they give them away for free, now if you have abando houses in your area they will camp out in them, and shit and piss infront of everyone, No you will not stop them, to much money involved, you will have to study the constitution to defend your homes I beat them all the time, not in lower court they are not real courts you will lose there , but when you get to the appeleant courts that is where they will uphold the constitutions, you do not have to have any city service, but they will build around you, the best I can tel you, is like the old west they would send there criminal, and the one that just wanted to be free and left alone, out into the wilderness, they would tame it down, then the law abiding better than you citizen would come in and push them further into the wilderness just to repeat, so Alaska, and Hawaii is are frontier now, my wife and I are moving to Hawaii the big island not the smaller one, but you will not beat this monster, you can survive it, if you are willing to study and fight them the codes are only affective if you go along with them, right now the whole United State is under Amiralty law, you have to put yourself back under the constitution the law of the land, Good Luck

but do not lose yourself in the fight, enjoy the simple stuff and have fun on your adventure.
Old 03-09-2020, 03:43 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

what are you spending a 150 dollars on, Joshua, you can build them yourself the lowest cost so far for me in columbus ohio was about 800 it could have been cheaper if I was realling to put the time in, you can rip your own walls and contact and online billboard the one with the cloth and get your skin that way house wrap and the crap the silver stuff for

insulation

, and of course the deck can be made out of pallets take them apart and so forth you can hit the construction site or people remolding there house for wire and plumbing but I am not sure about 150 that would be more like 400 to 500

Tags
None