Best Yurt Manufacturer For Harsh Maine Winters

Old 02-16-2018, 06:45 AM   #11
Administrator

Default Re: Best Yurt Manufacturer for harsh Maine Winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by riesahp View Post
Do not get a

dome

that opens; they're a waste of money you can spend on other more important features like a really good stove (eg Pacific Energy).
I disagree. I have a

dome

that opens on my Pacific yurt and they definitely make a difference when you need to vent the yurt. They only open about 8 - 10 inches or so, but you will find in the heat of the summer, that 8 inches dumps a lot of heat. You will also find that should your yurt get damp, such as when tracking in a lot of snow or water, venting the

moisture

via the dome extremely handy and prevents mold.
YurterRT likes this.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

I agree that being able to open the dome makes all the difference in the world.
YurterRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 02-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
I disagree. I have a dome that opens on my Pacific yurt and they definitely make a difference when you need to vent the yurt. They only open about 8 - 10 inches or so, but you will find in the heat of the summer, that 8 inches dumps a lot of heat. You will also find that should your yurt get damp, such as when tracking in a lot of snow or water, venting the

moisture

via the dome extremely handy and prevents mold.
I imagine that in the east there is greater humidity to deal with than here in the west, where it is quite dry. I have had 2 opening domes and the winds just kicked them around, twisting the rubber and metal all to hell, lifting them up and banging them down till they both cracked, and in the same place on each. It is a poor design, in my opinion, and isn't made to withstand high winds. Such weather conditions have broken off the clips holding the outer lining (more than a dozen of them), leaving the liner on the ground and shaking out a couple of roof trusses from the centre ring. The cost of maintaining a yurt in these parts must be factored in when estimating costs.

We put our

yurt platform

into 6-8 feet of concrete, right down to the bedrock. We used an old TV tower, also in concrete, to hold up the stove pipe. The design of the platform was created by the man who built it for us; no manufacturer provided such an option to us. One does need to look at the changing environmental conditions where one is situated, no question. And I'd sure like to be in a gentler climate, but the beauty of our place can't be beaten and so here we stay.
riesahp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
Administrator

I have never had those issues. We get a bit of wind, but the dome has never budged. We placed the open side away from the prevailing wind. I am not sure what you mean by "clips holding the outer lining" but my wall has grommets in the bottom that are screwed every 6-10 inches right to the platform and the grommets on top are connected directly to the vinyl roof via a rope. There is no way that comes off.

I have had 4 feet of snow on the roof and then hit with big wind and other than the sounds of the fabric, there was no stress on the structure whatsoever.
Old 02-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #15
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you all . based on many personal messages and experiences and even some calls I have purchased a 30ft pacific yurt. I got the upgrades for the winter and stability so on. My next question is plans for the deck and floor

insulation

. My two brothers will go with me for 2 weeks to help me . I would like to do a deck at least about 5-6 feet off the ground that I can apply some siding to be able to use for some storage such as wood and other items initially and of course help with cold . Any recommendations on what works or what not to do.

Last edited by Jafo; 02-22-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Rico67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:29 PM   #16
Administrator

Would you be able to spring for closed cell spray foam under the deck? That is going to be the most effective IMO.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
Yurt Forum Youngin

We build yurts to withstand below zero temps and Artic winds. It is standard in all of our yurts. We have yurts in Nome Alaska that have been there over 20 years.
Our extra strong lattice, door frames and sturdy rafters this will endure your weather conditions. Along with a hurricane cable, for extra strength and our beefy

insulation

, our standard yurts are more than standard, they are the cut above.
Call me for more info 907-299-6324
Sincerely
Avangaline.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Nomad Shelter AK Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:43 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for the post Avangaline.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:51 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have 2 inches of foam insulation under mine, cut to fit between the joists and squished up in there from underneath. Looks like it was a pain in the butt to do. But it is nice and warm. Some insurers require you to enclose underneath. You might investigate

insurance

ahead of time. I was happy to get 2 spring seasons under my belt to work out drainage.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
albalmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:54 AM   #20
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for that detail albalmuth.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None