Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Cover

Old 01-04-2014, 09:11 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default yurt cover

Hey fellow yurters;

I have reviewed all the other posts regarding covers in advance...

I currently own a 12ft yurt with a polaris fabric and just sold a 20 ft yurt with a starfire fabric. The first is a pollycotton blended fabric with a vinyl coating; the latter is a pollycotton fabric with a vinyl impregnation (slightly heavier duty).

I am preparing for my first build/ a 3o ft. yurt and am looking for cover advice. Think ill pass on the tarapaulin tarps and billboard covers; i am curious to hear any reviews from yurters with canvas covers. Does the canvas provide enough exterior

moisture

protection? I assume painting the canvas with an exterior grade latex paint would help? Worried about keeping the rain/ melting snow out. Also, hows the canvas hold up under mr. Sun? I would prefer canvas to a polycottn/ vinyl fabric due to the cost savings but would be open to any other fabrics I have not yet mentioned....

Looks like Ill need about 150 sq. yards for the whole thing; since i will probably paint it color dosnt matter/ anyone know some discount fabric sources?

thanks a bunch for your help/ trying to keep this project under $6,000...

ljamies1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: yurt cover

I really like cotton canvas. My roof cover is 17oz. double fill 100% cotton canvas, factory treated for

moisture

resistance. The wall covering is seperate, and made from untreated 12 oz 50/50 blend poly/cotton canvas.

The yurt cover has been on since May of last year. The yurt breathes great. Rain and snow stay outside. Smells and trapped moisture aren't an issue at all. It's never been clammy or humid inside. I have poked a finger in the roof cover when it is raining hard to test for runs and there aren't any. 17 oz cotton canvas is good HD material.

Longevity of my canvas cover in the UV intense semi arid high altitude climate here in the Rockies remains untested. I made the cover and have <$500 in it. If I get five years out of it I certainly got my money's worth.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 01-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Bob,

Thanks for the information; canvas seems to be te way to go this time around. Any suggestions on a company or source? I have found canvas tarps on the online discount tarp warehouse websites but would love to hear where you got your materials/ having trouble locating anything over 14oz.

I'm building the 30 ft in ithaca and relocating it this summer to boulder, co; can't wait too see some mountains!

Thanks again,
Logan
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

google: cover me tarps

Scroll down to 'water resistant cotton canvas tarps'. There are 10, 12, and 'non flame proof' 17 oz. Mine is 17 oz in the natural color. Very happy with the tarp.

Weather is semi arid in Boulder. Perfect for canvas covered yurt.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

awsome; found them!

I have a friend to help we sew the edges/ seams. Any suggestions on the proper sewing meching/ thread/ needle? I assume you need some kind of walk-along sewing mechine? Also, did you sew in an extra inside edge around the bottom to tuck the wall fabric up ino (this is where the cable which the wall attaches too weaves in and out of)?

Thanks for your help, the price break on the canvas is allowing me to consider adding solar panels, a project I thought i was at least a year away from...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

I used my Moms 50s era Singer portable, equipped with a standard presser foot setup. No walking machine. It's a dinky machine and I maxed it out, lemme tell yuhz. . Size 18 needle. Heavy Duty polyester thread. My wall canvas hangs from the uppermost lattice crosses. The cover is cinched tight to the yurt wall with a length of 11mm climbing rope. The traps the wall cover to the frame. no bugs, and no drafts.

So...I'm guessing ya heard a them Harbor Freight 45 watt solar panels, huh?
Old 01-07-2014, 10:04 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

BTW, omewhere on this site are pics of my yurt. 'home made yurt' thread? add my name, and if you know how to navigate you'll find them. My wife had to load them since I'm 'computer challenged'. heh heh
Old 01-08-2014, 12:23 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rowlands View Post
So...I'm guessing ya heard a them Harbor Freight 45 watt solar panels, huh?
I have 3 sets of them. Here is a pic when I only had two:

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Nice. I'm considering a 3 panel array myself.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

Pulled this up from archives. Canvas cover on my yurt was installed approximately June 2013. Now April 2018. After five years of continuous exposure to CO weather the cover is done. Pretty darn good. It's hard to figure how long a material can last outside. But imagine you hung a new pair of blue jeans on the clothes line for five years, and then you put them on. lol

Tags
moisture