Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Yurt Cost Calculator

Old 04-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Rob
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt cost calculator

Howdy folks!

I'm thinking about buying a big patch of land with some friends, and we want to do yurts for the first six months while we build earthbag, cordwood/cob and other home types; we'd like to keep them around a while as well to use as guest houses or for camping. But our goal here is to make them as cheaply as possible while not sacrificing structural integrity.

I've put together a Google doc here at this link and I'd really love some input on the blue highlighted values that are variable costs and measurements from those of you who've built yurts before. Right now I've got the calculator set up with what I think is the bare minimum for a liveable yurt; any input you expert-level yurtists might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Yurt cost calculator

Rob, Welcome to Yurt Forums! Hopefully you will get some responses from the highly experienced members here but I think your assumption that fixed lattice from home depot is going to work is flawed. I also don't think you will be able to create rafters or cover the yurt for the prices you have listed. Less then $500 for the whole yurt, that's way less then what it's actually going to cost. Sorry.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #3
Rob
Yurt Forum Youngin

What exactly would be the problem with a fixed lattice? I could see it being a problem with a small yurt due to the high amount of deflection, but as yurt size goes up the lattice count goes up and the amount of deflection each lattice has to handle goes down. And besides, isn't most of the strength coming from that aircraft cable?

As to the cover, I am curious as to what you think a reasonable material cost would be. I know I'm omitting the cost of thread and of course labor--maybe these things are less negligible than I'm thinking they are?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
Administrator

Rob, are you considering using the fencing lattice they sell as yurt wall lattice? I don't see how that would work. The lattice needs to be stretchable and bendable. I don't think you are going to find much luck getting that type of lattice to bend and stay bent. But if it works, I would love to see a pic of it.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #5
Rob
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yeah, I'm thinking about using simple fencing lattice as a low-cost alternative to building my own lattice from scratch.

Is it really so critical that the lattice bend? What would be so awful about having a system that describes a segmented polygon rather than a true circle?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking about using simple fencing lattice as a low-cost alternative to building my own lattice from scratch.

Is it really so critical that the lattice bend? What would be so awful about having a system that describes a segmented polygon rather than a true circle?
I was just thinking this over in my head as I have some of this lattice on my deck, which I can see from my desk as I type here lol. You are going to have a few issues here:

Nails and slivers: This lattice has nails or staples sticking out all over the place. This will be grabbing on any fabric you use for the walls, same with the splinters.

Flexibility: The stuff absolutely does not flex left to right. The lattice has to be somewhat the same height all the way around. You usually adjust this by stretching the lattice, but you can't do this with a fixed type. Your platform is going to have to be pretty level and flat.

I don't think making it segmented is that big of a crime per say, I just don't think the structure is going to be stable in segments. When it sits as one giant round lattice, it supports the entire round structure. How can you do that if they are not even attached?

Mind you, I am not one of the builders here, so they may have a different idea and chime in.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

I build all my own lattice from 2x6 lumber first I drill them and then slice them into slats. And then bolt them together with 5/16 nuts bolts and washers. I cut my slats 7/8 thick. makes for a nice strong wall. I have had my yurt through a 30 inch snow fall with no extra supports. the wall has to bare the weight of everything that goes on it including snow. the cable just keeps everything from pushing out. just my two cents worth
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #8
Rob
Yurt Forum Youngin

Well, I'm thinking about hinging the lattice pieces together for some additional stability, but only if I need to. Once again, the goal is *low material cost*--if we can build a proper lattice from scratch that's cheaper I'm absolutely up for it. But the low cost of the prefab latticework is something I just can't ignore!

Marshall, what is your square foot cost for building that style of lattice? I know that typically a yurt's lattice is made up of a few sections, how many is yours broken into?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Rob
Yurt Forum Youngin

(seriously, guys, please correct my numbers so we can see how it affects the overall cost!)
Old 04-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

I’m having a hard time visualizing how a "segmented polygon" lattice would work with a cable that seems to want a "round" shape to evenly support the rafters.
Seems that whatever you decide to try it will be quite a learning experience.......I'd get started on one as a prototype ASAP, expecting to learn a lot about the practicality of your ideas and about mods for better future builds.
Jafo likes this.

Last edited by djspn; 04-23-2013 at 09:35 PM.
djspn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None