Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Wood Stove Rear Flue Exit?

Old 03-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
Administrator

Default Re: Wood Stove Rear Flue Exit?

The warmed air goes up, the heat radiates out in all directions. That is why a balloon filled with hot air goes up, instead of some random direction.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 04:09 PM   #22
Yurt Forum Member

the hot air in a ballon is trap but when the air heats up then it will start looking for the coolest spot that is how a air ballon blows up, so I take it you can feel hot and cold, the way you feel that is when the tep around you is hotter than you the heat come into you, when it is cold your heat leaves your body you feel cool, and I know someone will eventually bring up ice and how it cools liquid , well what happens is the heat from the liquid is going into the ice, cause heat will always go to the cold no matter what rout it takes.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 03-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #23
Administrator

Tell me. What you go upstairs in the summer time, is it hotter or the same temperature as downstairs (with no AC on)?

The reason it is hotter upstairs is that hot AIR rises. It has nothing to do with it being trapped when it is in a balloon. When the air in the chimney gets hot, it rises pulling the air up, causing draft. This is why your stove/fireplace burns better once the pipe or chimney is warm. This is basic thermodynamics.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-...fireplace2.htm

https://www.owenschimneysystems.com/...-air-pressure/

Again, you are confusing radiant heat with pressure. It is much more advantageous to give the air as smooth a transition as possible toward going up. Going straight out the back impedes this.
Old 03-13-2020, 08:03 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Member

there again jafo the heat itself is going to the cold, now if you would say cold air is heavy than warm air and the cold air is falling to the basement like a heat sink, but if you open the door and you feel the draft that is the hot air going to the cold, now a days the houses are so well insulated from room to room the hot air will sence the cool air above it that is why it rises. that is how we use satalite as a weapon, by makeing people feel the opposite the way they are suppose to so they burn themself or freeze themselve.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:37 AM   #25
Administrator

Why do balloons not travel down instead of up?
Old 03-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #26
Yurt Forum Addict

Asair inside a balloon canopy is heated it becomes less dense then the surrounding air. The canopy expands due to this. Once the air is sufficiently heated, and substantially less dense then the surrounding air, it will lift the weight of the balloon and it's occupants off the earth.

The heated air inside the balloon canopy naturally loses its heat to the surrounding atmosphere. To descend, the pilot simply quits firing the burners.

The way I understand it, it is all about how energy inside matter is released. I think this is related to the second law of thermodynamics. But I'm no egg head and really don't fully understand this stuff except at a gut level.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 10:58 AM   #27
Yurt Forum Addict

An ice chest filled with ice isn't 'losing the cold'. The heat from the air surrounding the chest, and the absorbency of the chest materials to sunlight and atmospheric heat invades the chest and flows into the ice, causing it to melt. The way this armchair quarterback sees it is, it is a transfer of energy from hot matter to cold matter.

A thermos of coffee stays hot (or cold) because it is stored in a vacuum bottle. Vacuum = no matter so no transfer of energy from matter to matter.

Again I'm no expert on any of this.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #28
Yurt Forum Addict

This beats listening to my wife talk about how the coronavirus is effecting the Catholic church. So, thanks for the thread. lol
Jafo likes this.

Tags
None