Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Window Installation

Old 03-26-2024, 10:17 AM   #11
Administrator

Default Re: Window installation

Here is a video of a Retro fit on a Colorado Yurt (Secret Creek). I believe the process is similar with a Pacific Yurt:

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 10:18 AM   #12
Administrator

And here is a video of one in a Pacific Yurt:

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 03-26-2024, 10:27 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks Jafo. That covers it better than my post so I deleted it.
Jafo likes this.

Last edited by Bob Rowlands; 03-26-2024 at 10:30 AM.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:04 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Jafo,
Yes, thank you for responding to my question regarding installing a yurt window. I had seen the video previously as I thoroughly combed through all of the previous posts on the forum regarding installing glass windows.
My question is specifically about framing ones own windows— DYI. Since a shorter window that will go above a kitchen counter/sink is not currently available through

Pacific yurts

, nor

Colorado Yurts

, nor any other Yurt company at this time, we will be purchasing a standard window and doing it ourselves.
I received this response to my question from a PY dealer today:
. “If you do choose to custom-make your window for your kitchen and frame it, use caution and make sure the frame is structurally sound and does not compromise the structural integrity of the yurt wall. Our glass window frames are structurally engineered to accommodate the lack of lattice that will be cut out of the wall to accommodate the window. Any future glass window designs from us will have complete floor-to-roof frames as does our current design for this reason.”
In my opinion it seems that was is required it basically a framed wall unit as one would do when framing a house for a window. The only difference is that we would not be using a curved header or sill. But since the window will only be 24” wide I do not see that this is necessary, although it is a selling point for the yurt companies that are making the windows, frame and glass curved, to match the curve of the yurt.
I have found another company -

Blue Ridge Yurts

, that offers the option to its customers to save money and install their own windows and doors. So I know it can be done, as long as the span of the window is not too large.
I would love to hear more from others that have done this. Pacific Yurt customer service acknowledged that they have seen many photographs of their yurts with DYI windows.
Thank you!
Katie

Last edited by Katiebkind; 03-27-2024 at 12:08 PM.
Katiebkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 09:41 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

If you are talking about framing and building an actual window, you need tools and skill to do that. My advice is to buy a cheap clad horizontal slider from Depot or Lowes, and mount it using the video guide Jafo provided.
Old 03-28-2024, 01:14 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yes. That is the idea. To buy windows locally—But my question is about then building a wall unit that replicates what the yurt companies provide. Looks simple enough for a skilled carpenter to do. The header and the footer need to be curved to match the curve of the yurt. The two videos that Jafo sent me do not show how to make the wall unit. Both videos show how to install the windows in the already made frames with which they come.
Old 03-29-2024, 10:13 AM   #17
Yurt Forum Addict

Beats me what yurt companies provide. Plus I didn't watch the video. However I AM a retired carpenter.

Making a curved top and bottom plate to fit the yurt wall curve is easy. Have a helper hold a carpenters tape at the blade end as a focal point, pull out to the radius of your yurt and and scribe half the yurt diameter (radius) on the 2x using a tape measure. Voila! simple.
Old 03-29-2024, 01:24 PM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

yes the framing does sound simple enough. Thanks for the detail.
There is the question of the trim and making it all air tight that we will have to figure out.
So any one that has any ideas about this since we wont have this trim package that the yurt company has designed and provides.
Old 03-29-2024, 02:11 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Addict

The yurts I've made are simple

camping yurts

with no window.

I'd analyze the install videos Jafo linked and procede from that. Keep in mind a simple straightforward approach is usually better. Don't overthink stuff fretting over 'getting everything exactly right'. If something doesn't work out quite as you'd wanted first go around you'll likely get it the second time learning from your experience. NASA learned to build rockets by building rockets.

Good luck.

Tags
None