Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Rainwater Harvesting For Yurts

Old 05-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Rainwater Harvesting for Yurts

The bent and halved PVC pipe idea immediately crossed my mind as well Knecht. However I've read stressed PVC rapidly degrades with UV exposure. I read where guys have built geodesic and hooped greenhouses out of the stuff and it sagged and failed in only a year. But that's only what I've read, not from experience. Lots or folks around here take small dia. 10' PVC and make hooped frames for their tomato beds.

I sat in my yurt last night contemplating guttering it. Every solution I came up with was all Rube Goldberg goofy. I didn't come up with anything I'd do myself.

However, that said, I've been on job site and seen pro gutter guys install curved gutter on turret eave. There must be a type of gutter tool that can form curves that smooth. I'm thinking the tool can be adjusted for various radii. Might be worth a call to those guys?
someshds likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

Some grades of PVC are UV stabilized--supposedly. I don't know how well this would hold up in Portugal though.

Since you're designing your yurts, you probably aren't afraid of basic carpentry tools or a sewing machine. I have a sketch of a design for fabric gutters--don't know how well they'd actually work. But they sit just below where the roof poles stick out over the lattice/khana. See the sketch.

A yurt is round, yes. But it is only an approximation of circular--a polygon with something like 40-90 sides. Using an octagonal crown ring is doable. You either have to let some roof poles stick out over the lattice more, cut the roof poles to different length (a pain for setup/takedown), or drill your holes into the crown ring to different depths. It depends on your design skills and craftsmanship. Make a good crown ring in any case.

hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
Administrator

Perhaps, or even notch traditional gutters with tin snips, so they can be bent into a round shape.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #14
Administrator

Scroll down to their rain catchment feature:

Pacific Yurts – Custom Features – Yurt Info
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #15
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

We offer two rain catching features for our yurts and ship worldwide. One of the options is a fabric gutter system that is integrated into the top cover itself. The other is a rigid PVC gutter that can be installed onto the yurt after erection.

The biggest problem with continuous rigid PVC gutters made from piping may be the amount of expansion and contraction that occurs lengthwise. It can cause the piping to travel around the circumference of the yurt and bind up at doors or on your hanger brackets.

We would love to work with you if you choose to purchase a yurt rather than trying to design your own. [email protected]
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the great info.

Love the

Pacific yurts

guttering pvc system. Seems like the perfect solution.
Would love to know how much it costs and the cost of shipping. Here in portugal shipping seems to be a big challenge. I got a price on a bottle of stuff from a website and the shipping was twice the cost of the item. I also wanted to order a gasifier and the company seemed really put off by trying to get the thing to portugal.

If its not possible to import, I'll keep on working on other solutions. Something must be possible.
someshds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #17
Pacific Yurts

The cost of the perimeter gutter will depend on the size of the yurt being purchased (pricing can be found at Pacific Yurts – Pricing and Details – Yurts for Sale). The cost of shipping will depend on the size of yurt and combination of features chosen, so it might be worth contacting our sales reps to get a yurt quote. Once we have that information our shipping clerk can obtain freight costs to the nearest port.
Old 05-13-2015, 01:23 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi

Pacific Yurts

I dont think I can afford to purchase a yurt. Plus I like the challenge of self made, we have already purchased the canvas and have a friend with a industrial sowing machine that has made his own yurt too, so he will be able to give us all the tips we need. We will be sourcing the structure from locally grown eucalyptus poles or freely sourced local cane. Excluding the platform the yurt will come in less than $1000.
Can you send the guttering seperatley. We are making a 4 meter 12' (bedroom) and a 6 meter 18' (living area) yurts.
someshds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #19
Pacific Yurts

Unfortunately we are not able to provide parts or accessories for yurts that we did not make. They are specifically designed for our product. The eucalypus should make for a beautiful yurt framework. Hopefully you will post photos once the project is complete.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Addict

If you opt for hollow cane, be aware that if you were thinking about tying the lath with cheap Chinese nylon para cordage that has the thin sheath, there will be almost immediate chaffing and core blowouts. The sheath will blow before you even get the wall stood the first time I guarantee. Crap cordage is a total waste of time. There will be a massive time investment in tying up the khana.

I've found in the last few years the market is totally flooded with junk cordage. I highly suggest if you use nylon or polyester cordage you buy the product that is a SOLID BRAID like that used in draperies. No sheath and core junk. Trust me on this. Or, do as I did and use 1/4-20 bolts and nylock nuts. Not trad but it is totally bomproof. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None