Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Our Savannah Yurts

Old 05-13-2014, 10:19 PM   #21
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Our Savannah Yurts

Well it has been about a month. Been swamped with work and has been pretty much a one man show at the yurt site since. I've had a little help here and there though so that helped. Also just had our second child this week so that makes things a tad bit more difficult. At that tricky stage where it is hard to keep things dry and keep moving. So here are the pictures.

I was short about 30 boards for the deck. Bad math as it looks like I have plenty of extra sub flooring. Ohh well.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Land Cruiser Boards.jpg
Views:	783
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	603

Besides bending all of the warped boards and keeping the deck straight the hardest part was placing the approx 7000 screws in the decking top. I lost track but it took 2 people about 3 or 4 full days to finish laying the decking.

Name:	Laying Screws.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	604

All Done

Name:	Deck Done.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	605
addicted56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #22
Administrator

Congrats on the new child!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 05-13-2014, 10:29 PM   #23
Yurt Forum Member

Laying the joists for the subflooring

Name:	Helper.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	606

Actually had to rotate these sub flooring boards. Learned it is a nominal width so it wasn't lining up on 16" on center. Had to remove 4 boards then start over. The

insulation

was rained on in one spot when the wind blew up my tarp but I let it dry for a week and seems to be fine. I did not end up laying house wrap on the bottom as I did not want it to hold water and figured it would breath better under there this way. We will see if that was a mistake or not.

Name:	<h2 style=Insulation.jpg Views: 481 Size: 98.9 KB ID: 607" style="margin: 2px" />

Complete square. I didn't count but I think I used less boards than the plan called for by reusing the left overs from other cut boards.

Name:	Square24.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	608

And then it was round. I drew my circle twice in one spot and on about a 5' section I sawed the wrong one making it to small. I figure when I cut my finish bamboo flooring I can cantilever that extra 1-2" out to make my perfect circle and should be fine. We will see.

Name:	round24.jpg
Views:	600
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	609

Damn near had heat stroke. I was drinking water so quick I wanted to puke but by 1500 I had to start cleaning up as I had a headache, the shivers, and was lucky to piss the little bit of orange I did. Even flying in 120 degree heat with full flight gear and body armor in a black helicopter I had never been so hot. That tar paper and black flooring was miserable. I have to do it in the morning and evening to finish in the shade. I need a sharper or more teeth on my saw blade to cut the bamboo without it blistering. Maybe a jig saw this time I don't know. Also the flooring bubbled where the vapors were trying to escape out of the cheap pain on top of the flooring. It was the cheapest flooring that was not laminate that I could find and my wife helped decide but I think she is going to hate the dark dark brown/black flooring with all of the dirt that it shows. We shall see.

Name:	flooring24.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	610

If all goes well and I can get time on the weekend we might have the small yurt up next Sunday.
Jafo likes this.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 PM   #24
Yurt Forum Addict

Yeah, congrats on your newborn! Things are coming along with the build. Rome wasn't built in a day. You're gettin there!
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #25
Yurt Forum Member

So I haven't had a lot of time and in fact I should be sleeping so I can get out to the site early tomorrow morning but I wanted to update the build. Last Saturday I went out and the bamboo flooring was ruined due to water that seeped past the tarps and was trapped all week. Would have been better without it. Decided to rip it all up and finish the platform. The moved on and finished 90% of the 30' platform by myself before heading home. On Sunday one of my friends came over around 0900 and by 1800 we had one entire yurt up. Only needed one other person to help get the ring up initially and later on to help get the roof through the

center ring

Tomorrow I will be finishing the 30'

Yurt platform

and installing the doors. Hopefully have enough day to lay out all of the hardware and parts so when I show up with 2 buddies on Sunday we should have the 30' Yurt installed by the end of the weekend.

Should have some photos here shortly but I am having a hard time with the forum attaching files tonight.

Last edited by addicted56; 05-22-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:23 AM   #26
Yurt Forum Addict

I'm seeing alot more pics than I did before for some reason. Sorry you lost the flooring. Keeping laminated/manufactured wood products dry is a big issue on a wet site.

Off topic comment. I built our 3800' house. Did all the carpentry frame trim plus helped tradesman friends. It took exactly one year. I worked fifty days straight one stretch alone, in addition to maintaining my carpentry business. I had three 'open' shoulder and bicep surgeries in that year as well. That year taught me what I was made of. lol During one fifty day stretch without a single day off the fun just went right out of the job. I closed exactly one year to the day from signing the construction loan paperwork. FWIW face every challenge look it in the eye and say gimme your best shot, and you WILL get there, come what may. Good luck..
addicted56 likes this.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:26 PM   #27
Yurt Forum Member

Still unable to post photos. Didn't get the insulation up but the 30' Yurt is now up. It was considerably more work than the 24' yurt. Much more difficult to get the

center ring

up. I need to go do some work but the roof appears to large and or the walls are to long. But other than that no issues. Hopefully can get back up there in the next week to finish up and start on the interior walls.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:18 PM   #28
Yurt Forum Addict

A 30' yurt is indeed huge. Sorry, I'm not following what you mean when you say 'roof too large' or 'walls too long?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #29
Yurt Forum Member

I will try and get some pictures up. But the walls go all the way down to the deck while the 24 yurt I had at least 2 inches all the way around before the walls reached the deck. At first I thought the roof was a little large all the way around the circumfrence but it appears to line up at both doors just right. I will have to go back and take measurements but I'm thinking the fabric on the walls is just a couple of inches longer. Not really sure.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #30
Yurt Forum Addict

Got it. You're talking the cover. Glad it wasn't something structural. To my way of thinking a quick check for correct size of wall length with

tension cable

installed and rafters in place is to stand off to the side of the door frame and eyeball it for plumb.

Tags
None