Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Option For Yurt Platform "foundation"

Old 05-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Option for yurt platform "foundation"

I've always been concerned about digging 4 feet down to place adequate footers for a

yurt platform

, because while structurally necessary, it doesn't fit with my idealized approach of using a yurt to maintain it's nomadic nature. But, I was reading an article about deck foundations and they mentioned a great product for

yurt platform

applications.

See the Diamond Pier foundation system...
http://www.pinfoundations.com/index.html

It uses pins driven below frost line (4 ft here in MN) to hold the pier in place.

Any thoughts from the yurt experts???

Does this seem appropriate for a yurt platform???

Thanks

Travis

Last edited by Jafo; 05-13-2015 at 08:22 AM.
tdsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Option for yurt platform "foundation"

It looks like a little more work than I suspect a lot of people making platforms do--you'd need to get a geotech firm to come out and make soil property measurements. Then somebody does some calculations to determine rod length/angles.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:02 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

There was someone in southeastern Minnesota that had a blog that used these. I'll try to find a link.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

Our blogalog

This is a post where he talks about using the diamond piers. We researched this option when we built, and decided against it, as it was pretty spendy.
Old 05-20-2015, 02:15 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

thanks for sharing that link. Neat to see them in action.

I also saw the link to your pics. Thanks a ton for sharing all those. I love the personal touches you've been able to do for you home.

It makes my very glad to see there are yurts all over MN. We are going to be looking for land over the next few years nearish to the Twin Cities. I hope the local jurisdictions will permit a yurt.

I know

Shelter Designs

offer an "Arctic Insulation" package... is that what you used for the walls? I figured the liner on the inside face was hiding the foil, but I expected to see foil on the outside face of the

insulation

, but it was white too. If so what's your take on that

insulation

package?
Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

We are up by Lake Itasca, so it gets down to 40 or 50 below zero some nights during the dead of winter. We are extremely glad we got the arctic insulation. It comes as 4 layers (the side walls have panels that are sewn together with the first 3 laters, but the composition is the same for the walls and roof) From interior -> white fabric (this is for looks on the inside), reflectix, arctic insulation (this is a flexible foam type material that is about an inch thick, maybe a bit less), then the outer architectural fabric.

Our biggest issues were with

moisture

, we solved this by putting a clear vinyl panel in over the screen insert during the winter to seal out

moisture

from the

dome

(otherwise it fills up with ice and frost and causes other more terrible issues.) Then for moisture buildup inside, we got a really good dehumidifier and run that set at about 40% all winder long. This last winter it barely ran, things were dry as ever up here this winter.

We also replaced one of the fabric windows with a more traditional slider window (4' x 3'). I thought about it all winter the first year we lived here, and took the plunge last fall. We only have 1 regret with our purchase, and that was that we didn't get more hard windows when we ordered. They turn out to be priceless in the long winter months, and because our yurt is so high off the ground, we have to use a ladder to open all the windows (and close them in the rain!)

We do live in rural Hubbard County, which hasn't adopted the MN State Building Code, so the only code we had to follow was for septic/well/electrical. We hired out for septic and well, and I did the electrical myself.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #7
Administrator

Glad to hear you solved the moisture issue. I am considering a window package or two (retrofit) myself.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 03:19 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

I like your design, but have one a little different for an octagon yurt. I think mine would be easier to build and perhaps save you money in materials. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited by Jafo; 05-30-2015 at 07:13 AM.
Adirondack Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
Manufacturer Representative
Freedom Yurt Cabins

Travis,

That system seems like it would not only be an expensive option for building a Yurt platform, but that some key facts may have been overlooked in its design. The glaring discrepancy I would have with that system is that frost does not affect components like pins. Frost line should certainly be considered when laying concrete footers or other large, plug-like footing systems. However, pins, earth anchors, augers, stakes, etc are not affected by frost because of the relatively small surface area which is in contact with the ground.

Our Yurt-Cabins typically use a much more simple foundation system than most of the Yurt market. Concrete pads or pavers (mere pennies at any hardware store) are stacked under each adjustable foot of our walls, and are leveled so that our Yurt-Cabins can be placed on top. Our Yurt-Cabins are anchored with Duckbill Earth Anchors, and we achieve about twice as much anchoring strength as is necessary for our structures. See their instructional video here:

Video Gallery | Foresight Products

Typically, our site and foundation prep can be done in less than a day, and a Yurt-Cabin can be assembled in three days with an able-bodied, three man crew.
Freedom Yurt Cabins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:09 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Yurt Cabins View Post
The glaring discrepancy I would have with that system is that frost does not affect components like pins. Frost line should certainly be considered when laying concrete footers or other large, plug-like footing systems. However, pins, earth anchors, augers, stakes, etc are not affected by frost because of the relatively small surface area which is in contact with the ground.
Thanks a ton for the link to the earth anchors. I'm a little confused though by the above quote. It sounds like you are saying the lack of a heave affect caused by frost is a bad thing... but I figure you don't really mean that.

I get that cost is a big issue here, but not clear what the glaring discrepancy is.

thanks.

Tags
None