Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Newbie Yurt Building Help.

Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Newbie yurt building help.

Hi I have read up a bit about these topics but wanted to get specific info if I can. So here goes...

My wife and I are looking to build a 24" yurt (no center braces for central ring) i was thinking about 7" tall walls not sure on higher/angle of the roof because that kind of depends on strength and what is best for structural integrity.

As for the structure I have been hearing alot of people using 2x6 for the lattice work. What is a good strong length/width to cut that down to? I read cutting them to 7/8 was good. What do you all think?Is it strong enough? And how many lattice poles would you get out of there?
My wife and I don't have a lot of money so reducing waste/cost is important to us so if anyone has any ideas while keeping quality/structural integrity we would love to hear it.

As for attaching the lattice together I heard 5/16 nut/bolt/washers were good. Will it bend well/roll up at all?

I personally have no idea on angle or degree the roof should be. How large should the roof poles be to support the roof while making a sturdy roof for weather? Right now my wife and I live in San Diego so weather is very mild but we plan on moving at some point and I would like to plan for the worst.

Anyone have good ideas on how to get a well made central ring for and an ok price and where to find them? I found one for around $700+ at yurt camping.com I think but any ideas for cheaper. Like I said my wife and I aren't made of money haha. We try to live smarter not harder.

Also we are looking for suggestions on. A good place to buy the canvas/insulation (we were thinking wool because everything we have heard is it's very good quality compared to other things especially bubble rap.

Sorry for all the questions feel free to answer as many or as few as you want.

Is-ith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Newbie yurt building help.

Google:

Clan Yama Kaminari-make it

Scroll down to yurt build and read through the plan. You really should consider building a 16' yurt first, to get your feet wet, before going for a massive 24' yurt. 24' yurts need engineering, 16'ers do not. That plus it is WAY cheaper to build two small 16' small yurts, then a large 24'er. Good luck
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:27 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the tip. Just wondering why 24' needs engineer? For roof/central ring structural integrity? Or building coding?
Old 08-04-2017, 12:33 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

It's a huge yurt. The potential amount of weight above your head is substantial. I'd stick with a small yurt for the first build. Learn from that experience. I built the 16'er and the 14'er. Both are very strong. A 24' needs engineering, I sure wouldn't build one without it. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #5
Administrator

I agree. If a 24' yurt fell on you, it wouldn't hurt because you would most likely be unconscious. I would definitely start with something smaller.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ok thank you guys I'll look at this a little harder. We were looking at making another smaller yurt as a side room/restroom so I guess is there an angle/degree incline that you would suggest for the room or is it just to variable to say.
Old 08-04-2017, 06:42 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

I highly recommend you read through the Kaminari plan. The 12' 14' and 16' Kaminari type

camping yurts

have a roof pitch from about 22 degrees to 27 degrees, and I'll guess that is fairly typical of most trad yurts and Americanized yurts I have seen in photos, with the EXCEPTION of a two storey yurt.

Look, if you embark on building a large yurt in the 24' range, you really need to fully understand what you are undertaking, so you don't make mistakes that cost you money. If you build that 16' Kaminari yurt first, you will have a good, inexpensive yurt, that you can learn on. PLUS a very good initial understanding of what goes into a yurt build. I find them easy to build, but again I am a carpenter and that really helps. Good luck. Do your homework grasshopper! lol
Old 08-09-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Ok so you guys have convinced me. My wife and I are now looking at doing a 16' yurt. I was doing some research and found this video on a supposedly 23' yurt but the poles for the roof look pretty flimsy/small are you guys able to offer some insight on this and why theirs works so well with what seems to be real basic materials... Here is the link.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Any suggestions on where to an Engineer/Designer for a massive Yurt build?
I am planning to put up a 50 foot diameter Yurt, with standard 2x6 wood walls on a concrete foundation. This going to be my retirement home.
I really would like to find an Architectural to help me realize this project.
bold_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:38 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

50' yurt lol that's a good one.

Tags
None