Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Needing Building Advice

Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Needing building advice

You might be interested in checking out the plan I used on my yurt. It is online for reading. Google: clan yama kaminari yurt

Scroll down the front page and click on yurt build. If nothing else reading the plans will familiarize you with yurt terminology, and give you an overview of how the parts assemble into a yurt.

I modified the ring by substituting solid 4x4 in place of the 1x they used. That made the ring stronger. I also shortened the lath so both ends are the same length from the hole. I built my door frame stronger and built a door as opposed to a tent flap.

The laths are traditionally joined with cordage or rawhide. Bolts aren't at all necessary. Nor is the cable, but it does make for an easy way to get the wall circumference exact when erecting the rafters. Have fun reading up.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:47 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Addict

I actually built two of them, a 14'er that was destroyed from not being anchored in a storm, (anchor your yurt!)0@ and then the 16'er. I know this plan by heart. My feeling is this plan could be scaled up to 20' or 6 meters by substituting 1x4 for 1x3 in the roof, and enlarging the ring to accomodate the bigger rafters and for general strengthening purposes. 8 also know how to adjust all the parts sizes for any particular diameter and pitch. This stuff is all easy to understand if you have a carpenter there to explain it. Good luck.
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 02-06-2016, 08:38 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Needing building advice

Hi Roo

There are two books that I feel are the best of the lot, but there are others well worth having, the two are Paul King's book, and Living in the Round. These along with Simply Differently will give you what you need to know, 'all else is commentary'. Those plus this site with Jafo and Bob and the site info will stear you right. It sounds like you have the skills needed, especially with your family .

I am in the 'looking for a place mode', somewhere, wooded, here in Northern MI. My plans are quickly moving to a hybrid wooden yurt, with tono and

dome

, with some material from

Groovy Yurts

, I do like their decorations, for the door, tono and bagaan. I will make a little addition for shop, etc. Their door(G.Y.) will lead into the shop from the yurt itself. The shop is for building bows, including Mongolian composites, my favorite bows.

Happy homeworking and study , that's the best use for winter time, preferably sitting by a nice log fire by your cast iron stove, coffee at hand, dog and cats snuggled up near by.
Bob Rowlands likes this.

Last edited by Jake; 02-06-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:49 PM   #14
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Bob and Jake for more information for me! This little adventure has become a great passion of mine lately. I find myself awake late at night reading reading reading! Trying to learn. I appreciate all information I get. I was actually disappointed with the book that I had ordered prior to finding this forum, it wasn't as informative as I had hoped it would be so I will be looking into the suggested books. I find this learning exciting and it makes me want to go go go lol I can't wait to make this my reality!

Becky
Jake likes this.

Last edited by Roo; 02-08-2016 at 06:53 PM. Reason: added content
Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #15
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Bob when I google clan yama kaminari yurt I do find a site but when I click on build a yurt I get page not found. Am I in the right site I wonder?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #16
Yurt Forum Addict

Happy Hunting, its a great, fun trip.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:01 AM   #17
Yurt Forum Addict

Roo, type in ,clan yama kaminari home, on google. On the left side of the front page there is a drawer of options. Click on ,make it,. Then scroll down to the bottom of that page and click on ,yurt/ger construction,. Just tried it on google and it worked. Have fun.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:03 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Addict

If you have any build questions, ask here. I know that yurt inside out.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #19
Roo
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you Bob! Yes I found the right place this time! I'll be reading about it momentarily.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:52 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

Re: one of your original questions about custom platform building. I've got a 20ft yurt in western maine and during my research I was really interested in seeing if someone would make a custom round platform out of SIP panels, cut it into pieces suitable for 1-2 people to wrangle and deliver it to me in Maine.

SIPs are really interesting/efficient and they can be pre-cut and channeled for wiring and plumbing while in the factory so it all just snaps together onsite.

I found a number of SIP makers that could do a 20ft circle and at least one company had done a yurt deck in the past. I ended up deciding 'no' only because the cost of truck delivery to our spot in maine basically doubled the price.

If I had to build a new Yurt I'd do the base platform from SIPs though especially as this is year #3 of the yurt and I missed the temperature window this year to crawl underneath with a couple of tanks of spray foam. If I had just bought SIPs upfront I'd be all done and bottom insulated by now!
chrisdag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None