Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

My Quick Intro

Old 05-16-2022, 09:11 PM   #31
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: My quick intro

The reason we wrap the wall canvas around the door post and attach to the lattice on the inside is because even though “boat shrunk” Sunforger canvas is supposed to be pre shrunk, it isn’t. It will shrink the first few times it gets wet and so if it was secured to the door posts, it woukd get very tight, be under a lot of stress and squeeze the lattice.
With the lattice wrapped around the door posts, it provides about 10-12” of adjustment.

In the instructions, it showed drilling round holes outboard of the door post tenons in the threshold and header. In our door canvas we sew two “tubes” to the outer most edge. Inside these go 3/4” dowels and they then fitted into the holes in the header and threshold.

You could put a door frame within the door frame, to which you could screw in hinges to attach a wood door.
The wood doors I sometimes sell use pivot pins like those used in bifold doors and so the doors swing on these. With a door frame within a door frame, it will allow you to add a jam to keep the draft out.

There are always compromises especially with canvas. Vinyl is great as it last longer, you don’t have to hem cut edges and it doesn’t shrink. A lot of advantages, but I would only use it in permanent type yurts as its harder to pack up fold up is more heavy and bulky. Not ideal for a camping yurt.
Yurtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #32
Yurt Forum Youngin

Very productive day today. One more seam to stitch up on my main roof portion. I made it using pie slices of canvas so it would sit better than longer pieces. Also used a ratchet strap for the tension band. Sewed a bunch of straps together after cutting off the hooks. Interesting how strong the structure is as I can hang from the ring no problem with little flex in the structure. Tomorrow will sew up the wall wrap which is prob the easiest thing to sew. I plan on making a 1 ft skirt to hang over the main roof canvas. It will come over the rafter ends and I assume tighten up with a strap for a good bug seal. I am still pondering what to do about a ring cover. Current thoughts may be a zipper and separate canvas so I can zip it out and swap in a screen or chimney ring as needed. Man what a fun project! Thanks for all the inspiration and wisdom.

Jafo and TSRalex like this.

Last edited by Krusty; 05-19-2022 at 07:47 PM.
Krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 05-19-2022, 11:46 PM   #33
Yurt Forum Addict

Comin together. Nicely done.

Yes, I found the upper most tension rope that compresses the roof and wall covers against the lattice, very effectively seals out bugs as well as drafts. You'll dig being sealed up tight.

Off topic. To get a really good natural cooling draft in the summer, hike up the bottom of the canvas about a foot and tuck it under the lowest tension rope. REAL nice natural cooling effect. The cooler air next to the ground comes in and runs up and out the ring. I found it very nice for a lil yurt nappy. haha
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:47 PM   #34
Yurt Forum Youngin

Tomorrow is the big day when we head out yurt camping. Just finished sewing the walls which by far was the easiest part to sew. We had a week long power outage so that threw my mental sched into a a loop. Will post some pics from campsite and also have some video edits to make of the wood construction. Will have some sewing fixups to do after back from camping weekend but it will be bugproof for now.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Old 06-02-2022, 10:45 PM   #35
Administrator

Good luck!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:51 AM   #36
Yurt Forum Addict

Yup a nice trip is gonna be a great learning experience. Yurt is 'THE' camping tent by a long shot. Have a good trip!
Old 06-03-2022, 08:29 PM   #37
Yurt Forum Youngin

If someone could tell that loon to keep it down out in the lake I would be indebted ����

Set up fine. I did not get any viable door done that would keep the mozzies out at nite so i just tossed a big tarp over it for the night. But sooooo roomy.
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:55 PM   #38
Yurt Forum Addict

VERY nice yurt dude. Thanks for the photo and commentary.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:45 AM   #39
Administrator

Hey, looking good! Nice job. I bet it was a fun learning experience!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:02 AM   #40
Yurt Forum Addict

You folks that want to make a yurt? Get a plan. Jump in and go for it. YOU CAN DO IT!! Again, great job krusty!

Tags
None