Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Mujaan

Old 04-05-2014, 03:31 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Mujaan

I have been seeing the documentary Mujaan listed as a reference source on many of the references that I source, it seemed very interesting so I finally got it, from Amazon.com

I wish I had gotten it long before , it follows a young man building a yurt for someone else from scratch, some women make the felt, and he pulls the finished roll by horse firming it and packing it down. All the rest its the Craftsman doing it.

It is all by handtools, several improvised. The actual building part takes just over a half hour, then there are other sections to view, commentary etc. All the other sections are also very worth viewing. The first part is only in Mongolian but does have English subtitles.

How he does many things are as I do them in bow making.

For a very complete look at how its done in the boonies in Mongolia this is excellent. I have seen clips of several commercial small companys in Ulan Batar but they have more modern tools available, and many of theirs are available for export. This craftsman does it all by hand tools.

The title btw means The Craftsman.

If you are fascinated by Yurts get this. You'll have a new appreciation and understanding of them. I am probably going to be ordering another copy just for when I wear this one out.

Last edited by Jafo; 04-06-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 08:25 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Mujaan

Jake, thanks for the tip about Mujaan. I just watched four short clips from the film. You're right, it's good.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Mujaan

Hi Bob

I think that anyone seriously interested in yurts should watch it, better yet get one, and study it.

The simple method of steaming the lattice slats is an eye opener. And productive.

About the only thing I disliked was the method for killing the goat. I understand not wanting to pollute the ground but that can be gotten around, my ancestors have done it for something like four thousand year, but, that said, one thing out of over an hours viewing is pretty good for some one as nitpicky as me.

Most definitly after viewing go to the other segments, commentary etc, they pull it altogether. I really like the picture being drawn throughout it, I'd like to get a copy. I'd for sure make wall space for it.

Jake
Old 04-06-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Mujaan

There is also a website for the film and the maker,

its www.mujaan.com

I would like to get a print of the painting done during the film, a classic Mongolian style. Shows each step of the building.

You can see a short on the painting at the website.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks, I saw the painting clip. Something I noted while watching the painting being done, was the similarity between the way the artist did the clouds, and the way the painted 'scrollwork' is done on trad Mongolian doors. I'm going to paint the traditional five panel half lap door I made for my yurt in a similar fashion.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

I like that painting and would like to get a print of it. Definitely one to hang on the wall.

This documentary has a lot of food for thought. A lot of difference just in Mongolia in Yurts, but this is for sure a classic traditional one of the people.

He really follows the KISS Principal. !

Tags
None