Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Looking For Both A Materials List For Deck And Yurt Itself. Anyone Have One?

Old 04-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Looking for both a materials list for deck and yurt itself. anyone have one?

We have a 20ft diameter yurt from

Pacific Yurts

and in order to have a structural engineer produce plans for a concrete foundation, Yurts.com provided us a 65 page structural analysis stating that the 20' yurt with snow-and-wind kit can withstand 140 mph winds. I can email you that document and the 35-page construction manual which pretty much explains all the materials needed. I may or may not have a PDF version some generic recommendations for the platform as well. A 1000 sf yurt would need good engineering, likely some support poles in the middle. Good luck! Eric Metzler - [email protected]
Ewmetzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 06:58 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Looking for both a materials list for deck and yurt itself. anyone have one?

Thank you Jafo, Karin, FrankieM02, wintergreen282, Bob rowlands, and Eric Metzler. I see from the comments so far that it is an enormous undertaking and probably very complex. Perhaps several linked smaller yurts makes more sense. I will begin reading everything on here and contact people who offered help. I will also look into the yurt companies mentioned. All very helpful, thank you very much.

It is not the first time that I have dreamed to do something that at first seemed almost impossible, and found a way to do it.

Last edited by WhiteMtnYurtRichard; 04-01-2018 at 07:02 PM.
WhiteMtnYurtRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 04-02-2018, 07:20 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

Yes! I agree. It seems there is no shortage of friends, family, and even strangers ready to tell you something "can't be done" the minute you step outside the status quo. If we wanted the status quo, we'd be doing that! You'll figure out what's best for you, Richard.

Karin. Great tip on Two Girls yurts! I was aware of them, but reading their website, that looks perfect. If nothing else it's a local, NH company with years of actual experience in this NH climate. I love that they are even closer to and gentler on the land with the center woodstove, lower walls, and local materials. Sometimes people here will throw out costs like "budget around 20 grand for site work, maybe another 10-15 for the platform, etc, etc". Yes, you'd probably get everything done exactly right by someone else, but there's usually a much cheaper way to get started if you are willing to work hard and experiment and make do. Both ways legit.
YurterRT likes this.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Talking Re: Looking for both a materials list for deck and yurt itself. anyone have one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteMtnYurtRichard View Post
Thank you Jafo, Karin, FrankieM02, wintergreen282, Bob rowlands, and Eric Metzler. I see from the comments so far that it is an enormous undertaking and probably very complex. Perhaps several linked smaller yurts makes more sense. I will begin reading everything on here and contact people who offered help. I will also look into the yurt companies mentioned. All very helpful, thank you very much.

It is not the first time that I have dreamed to do something that at first seemed almost impossible, and found a way to do it.

I can certainly relate to having what might seem an impossible, to some, designed dream. Research research research was my go to reaction when some on this forum pretty much slammed my ideas of what could work as a functioning viable DIY yurt. I'm very happy to say, I and others have spent many enjoyable hours to days there and it works like a charm.
So research, be oh so smart with the plan, and go for it.
YurterRT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None