Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Freedom Yurts Real World Experience Anyone?

Old 08-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Freedom Yurts Real World Experience Anyone?

Hi! I have been a Pacific yurt dweller for a few years in Portland Oregon. I am ready to change my living situation, and I am mulling over more then a few options.
I am curious about Freedom Yurts...anyone here actually have one? I am not a fan of the design or look but the price is good and real walls would be wonderful.
That said, I live in a yurt due to chemical sensitivities and mold illness. I cannot have any structures that are heavy on VOC's or support mold growth. The one Freedom Yurt I toured was pretty smelly as far as off gassing but that could have been the floor they installed.
I would love to hear peoples experiences as far as the above but also durability, sound transfer,

heating

and cooling, etc...

shesupsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 12:46 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Freedom Yurts Real World Experience Anyone?

I don't know squat about Freedom yurts. If they have solid 2x walls, that will work fine.

My broad 'big picture' view of mold and dwellings is, any dwelling, regardless of yurt, house, commercial building, cloth, wood steel etc. needs moist air kept at a reasonable level, or mold is going to ensue. Even concrete eventually degrades to salty air.

Moisture

is one of natures first agents in the breakdown process. All dwellings in adverse environments, like space, or undersea, have

moisture

scrubbers since there is no atmosphere.

That said, my common sense approach to the mold issue is, air the yurt regularly and you will be fine. If you have an incredibly damp environment, don't let that settle into your frame, cover

insulation

etc. Fire up the wood stove regularly and dry the place out. Keep the windows opened when possible. Whatever you do, do NOT 'seal the place up' to keep out the rain or fog.

That's all I got. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

That is how I have kept my fabric yurt mold free...via not overinsulating and keeping windows open as frequently as possible. I also have my bathroom/shower outside. But a hard walled yurt doesnt allow the same airflow. Yes I can monitor humidity levels but still curious about how well built the Freedom Yurt is as far as leaks and moisture intrusion.
shesupsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #4
Administrator

They would have to come in here and comment (I will ping them) but I do believe they vent their yurts like a traditional structure.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
Manufacturer Representative
Freedom Yurt Cabins

Quote:
Originally Posted by shesupsidedown View Post
Hi! I have been a Pacific yurt dweller for a few years in Portland Oregon. I am ready to change my living situation, and I am mulling over more then a few options.
I am curious about Freedom Yurts...anyone here actually have one? I am not a fan of the design or look but the price is good and real walls would be wonderful.
That said, I live in a yurt due to chemical sensitivities and mold illness. I cannot have any structures that are heavy on VOC's or support mold growth. The one Freedom Yurt I toured was pretty smelly as far as off gassing but that could have been the floor they installed.
I would love to hear peoples experiences as far as the above but also durability, sound transfer,

heating

and cooling, etc...
Hi! I would love to answer all the questions and concerns you have! I am a sales rep/customer service manager for

Freedom Yurt Cabins

. I see you are concerned about mold. We haven't had any concerns or issues with mold in our Yurt Cabins. They're very well insulated, and a sturdy structure. If you would like to call me or shoot me an email, we could converse more about your questions and concerns. 308-250-2260 is my number and [email protected] is our email. We are quick to respond whichever route you chose.

Thank you,

Katie
Freedom Yurt Cabins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
freedom yurt cabins