Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Flooring Options

Old 06-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Flooring Options

I'm trying to figure out what kind of floor to put in my yurts. According to the pinned thread on yurt building, it's not possible to install a floor after the yurt is in place, but if I install the floor first, it could be exposed to the weather for a week or more.

It seems like I could install vinyl sheet flooring after the yurt is up, since it's so much thinner than other flooring materials. I am not crazy about that type of flooring though.

Thoughts/suggestions welcome.

Doug

Old Man Oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Flooring Options

Never done it so these are guesses. 1. For the 'beforehand' approach regardless of covering have a very large tarp(s) or the yurt cover on hand to cover the floor during construction. 2. Raise the wall and set it on 2x after the yurt is erected. Or cut to fit. 3. Sheet goods go down EXTREMELY fast. A yurt sized area could be done by young pro installers so fast it would make your head spin. If a problem develops cover with the tarp. Lino is a fine floor covering, but if you live in a dirty environment you'll probably need to remove boots at entry. 4. Tile expensive and bomb proof. Raise the wall and block it up. Hopefully someone else with actual experience will chime in. lol
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

The basic problem with an 'after' flooring install would be trimming around the lattice & 2x4 support posts (if present). If you're okay with an odd transition from floor to subfloor, go for it. Or set the lattice/posts on a raised perimeter of some sort so your flooring will have something nice & even to butt up against.
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

That could work. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Administrator

You can add a finished floor after the yurt is raised btw, just not the subfloor. Good luck!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

By 'subfloor', do you mean the platform? It's 3/4" plywood.

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

3/4" plywood is called subfloor around here. Finished floor is usually 3/4" atop that. Hardwood strip, prefinished hardwood, underlayed lino, vct, and tile; carpet, all about 3/4" when installed. There are exceptions nowadays with real cheap coverings of man made junk that is about 3/8ths to 1/2". Fine for a few months then replace. lol
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Now I'm even more confused. If you erect a yurt without first installing the subfloor, what are you putting it on? The ground?

To be clear, I should be okay with putting the yurt directly on the 3/4" plywood platform, and installing the finish floor (either hardwood or engineered flooring) later, correct?
Old 06-23-2017, 10:13 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

My posts acn do that to people.

Yes, if on a round yurt sized platform, where the wall covering overlaps the floor to protect it from water entry.

No, if if the yurt sits on a square deck that extends out beyond the wall. A yurt installed atop a square platform needs to sit on a seperate circular 'yurt footprint' platform set atop the square platform, or water will enter. The wall cover has to overlap the yurt floor or water is gonna enter.

An alternative I've seen in video is set the yurt on a huge waterproof tarp, bigger than the yurt, and fold the tarp up outside the wall, under the cover. The low tension band holds it all in place. That would be the nomadic 'bathtub' floor. lol Have fun good luck.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

The yurt platforms (one 16' and one 24') will be the same dimensions as the yurts that will sit atop them, so I guess we're good with installing the flooring after. Thanks.

Tags
None