Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Easy Awnings

Old 08-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Member

Default Easy Awnings

We have a

Shelter Designs

yurt, but I imagine this would work with just about any yurt that has Velcro fabric windows. All we used was some 1/2 inch PVC pipe, some elbows (and cement), zip ties for a 'hinge', and some industrial sticky velcro (stick that to the pvc so it attaches to the window flap.)

About 20 minutes each. The large roll up wall we used 1" PVC, and just put a couple screws into the platform for the legs to hook into.

The small windows now offer great shade and rain protection (as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard). We just did the large roll up window today, it might be a little less stable in the wind, and might not protect as well from the rain, but time will tell!

SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Easy Awnings

Looks great!
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 08-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the post! I've heard that an awning is essential if you want your windows open; otherwise the rain rolls right in. I was looking at adding the pre-made awning kits that

Colorado Yurts

offers with their package, but it was $180 per kit!! We are looking to minimize, not overpay. This seems more intuitive and economical.
klhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

We have had the window awnings up for months now with no issues at all. The big awning for the roll up wall has worked very well too, although, we have to close that if there is any wind at all when it rains, or it finds its way inside. We also have to close the big awning if it is too windy, but the small window awnings have been extremely stable, even in 30 MPH winds. Gotta love Velcro!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I love the ingenuity. If you don't mind my asking, how much did the PVC piping, Velcro, etc cost you for the whole project? I'm just curious to see how much you saved!
klhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

For each window it cost roughly $20, we did this for 5 total windows, so $100 in parts (and some short PVC lengths left over for some other project), and a couple hours of cutting and cementing.

We have a

Shelter Designs

yurt, and they don't (AFAIK) offer an awning kit of any kind yet, so not sure what it would have cost us.

Tags
None