Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Dome Shade Solution

Old 05-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Dome shade solution

Does anyone know of a retractable shade solution for yurt domes? We have a ceiling fan but would like to place a shade above it to block sunlight during the day in the summer.

Thanks!

Crawdad

Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:21 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Dome shade solution

This is one I have been thinking about for over a year and I haven't come up with the "perfect solution".
I live near a couple of umbrella manufacturers, but I haven't come up with what I consider a viable design. I have talked to the "Bumbershoot Builders" and they are willing to make a fairly small run if I (or someone else) can come up with a reasonable design.

Thoughts? I would be glad to help.

Rodyurtlocker.com
Home Page.
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:41 PM   #3
Administrator

Something on a hinge would be nice. Also, something you could take down in the winter.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 03:21 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Um, traditional-style yurts use an external urgh/tono cover. It's a square piece of cloth with four tie off points that can be used to cover the tono/dome, easily folded back to allow light when desired. Requires ropes and tie-off points (probably the platform for modern yurts) and can only be controlled from outside.

But I suspect you all were talking about something internal...

An umbrella that fit *just* inside the crown ring, held in place by four wooden 'latches' or shims or pegs might work. Unfurl umbrella, 'hook' in place for shade. Close up umbrella, 'unhook' and remove umbrella. If the umbrella handle is tall enough, you might not even need a ladder.

If you had a permanent 'umbrella' like this sitting in the middle of your crown ring/tono, you'd have a cool shade cloth and a skylight sundial :P
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

When I was working on my roof ring, I had this idea for covering the hole...wanted it to be rather rain cover than shade, but it could serve this purpose, too.
So, imagine several half-circle shaped ribs. Hinged on two opposite spots on the rings outer edge. These ribs would carry a half-spherical fabric "tent" that would be easily erected/collapsed just by operating the ribs (could be easily done just by a cord from the inside). Similar to the roof on a baby carriage or cabriolet.
I think this would work. Would need to be quite large to work well (the ribs would need to be half the size of your roof ring).
Guess I could make this, if someone is interested.
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Member

We got some of that shade screen stuff that blocks 70% of sunlight and put it over our screen insert. We just leave that up all summer so I only have to get up there twice a year. Worked great last year, although you have to cut it extra big because it will shrink some in the heat.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

I think I may have found something.

These guys make a flexible curtain track:
https://www.theflextrack.com/

It has rollers that can operate pointing directly out from the track, so you could mount it on the inside of a yurt

dome

compression ring. It would pull a circular curtain open, ending in a closed wedge as seen in the pic of the round window.

I guess it would be operated with a rod or you could run a cable on rollers down a rafter bean.

I would have to sew the curtain myself.

Jafo and hierony like this.
Crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:24 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

The thing that concerns me with all these internal

dome

sunshades is the build up of heat if the dome isn't cracked open.

Right now I'm lucky enough to have a fair amount of leafy trees filtering the sun. I would like a bug screen though. What are the pros and cons and costs of those? -- Cindy
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #9
Administrator

I think the shade above could go under the bug screen and it would let air through. I have the bug screen in my yurt and it works well, though with the snow and wind kit upgrade, it had to be permanent instead of removable.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

If it is hot enough for that much heat buildup, then the dome is definitely open. It gets way too hot in here to not open the dome.
SeverTheTether is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dome