Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Building The Aroura

Old 05-11-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Building the Aroura

Ha! This is the first time I've ever heard the word "gammy" used outside of the Monty Python Cannibalism in the Royal Navy sketch.
"I'm done for. I've got a gammy leg and I'm going fast. You'd better eat me"
"Eat you, sir?"
"Yes. Eat me."
"Ugh! With a gammy leg?"
Not to digress, or anything. But of course it has found its way into my brother and my vocabulary as a result.
I love your plans, Andy, and your commitment to using local materials. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Dan R-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
Administrator

LOL Dan!!!!!
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
Are you having an issue uploading pics?
Hi Jafo. T thought I was, but it seems it was working. When I went through the motions of upoading the image didn't display on my post, so I thought the techno-gremlins were not cooperating. It seems that things were working, and as soon as I can remember how I did it, I'll upload more images.
Andy_in_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #14
Yurt Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan R-M View Post
Ha! This is the first time I've ever heard the word "gammy" used outside of the Monty Python Cannibalism in the Royal Navy sketch.
"I'm done for. I've got a gammy leg and I'm going fast. You'd better eat me"
"Eat you, sir?"
"Yes. Eat me."
"Ugh! With a gammy leg?"
Not to digress, or anything. But of course it has found its way into my brother and my vocabulary as a result.
I love your plans, Andy, and your commitment to using local materials. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Hehe. I guess Monty Python is part of my cultural heritage, for better or worse...
Old 05-12-2013, 06:46 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Member

I'm still putting together the materials list, but I'm 90% happy with the wood frame and parts, so it is time to move on to the fabric.

I'm a lot less sure of myself here.

I've found a german supplier online who sells material they describe as:

"Olive sailcloth. WATERPROOF 205cm wide awning material, tent sold by the metre, cotton..."

Their description reads (All translated text in italics):

"Highly robust 840 grams per square metre with canvas seams.

this material was developed for large tents (Lit: Großraumzelt or 'Big room tents': defines anything from a scout tent to an Oktoberfest beer tent or circus tent) and has the following qualities:

Waterproof & oil, dirt, and fat resistant. Tepmerature and light durable and mold resistant."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Which sounds all well and good, but I've had conflicting advice from the owner of the main German language yurt website I've found, who kindly emailed with a lot of advice, including:

"... "Tipi stoff" is extra strong cotton: weight minimum 450, better 650 gramms per square metre (G/m²) waterproof to a rainfall of 65cm per square metre (cm/m²) with rotproofing, but in my experience you can forget this because the rot proofing washes out and if the yurt is permanently outdoors it will be revolting and toxic and and mouldy within three years.

A mix is better: 50% cotton and 50% polyester, weight 470g/m², waterproof to 80 cm/m² rainfall.

The best is Polyester 280: 100% resistant polyester with acrylic coating. Natural colour, weight 280g/m² breathable and rot proof. Waterproof until 100 cm/m² rainfall. Also known as "Markeisenstoff" (
"Awning material") You can find it on Ebay, amongst others..."

Back on Ebay I've found:

"Heavy, rip-proof Oxford Nylon"

Rip-proof nylon mix with matt robust surface. The back side has a PU coating making the material permanently waterproof. Can be sewn with a standard domestic sewing machine.

400g/m²
80% Nylon, 20% Polyeurathene

Waterproof, rip-proof.

Designed for:

Geeignet für: convertible car roofs, canvas covers, shelters, pavillions, Unterstände, Pavillons, awnings, sun and rain protection, Sonnen-u. Regenschutzsegel, canopies, viewblocks, wind protection, bags, rucksacks, etc.

And:

klassischer Markisenstoff

250g/m²
100% Polyacryl

Waterproof, rop-proof, oil, dirt, and fat resistant. Weather and rotproof.

Usable for: Awnings, balcony covers, canvas covers, shelters, pavillions, sun and rain protection, wind protection, etc.

Scores seven-eight of a possible eight levels of fade resistance and water resistance of 7-8. included resistance to bird droppings. also has a 50x UV protection, so the colour won't fade in sunlight. waterproof to 35cm/m², with good maintenance the material will remain waterproof for many years.

---------------------------------------

So I'm a bit confused. I certainly don't want to go against the advice of someone clearly very highly experienced, but on the other hand my natural inclination is to go for a heavier, and more natural material. Of course being able to use a normal sewing machine will probably be a good idea, it has to be said, but I'm in a place with moderate rainfall but some wind and trees that will drop leaves, fruit and wood suprising distances.

So, any thoughts or suggestions? sorry about the metric measurements, but I don't know how you'd convert them into imperial.

We've decided to go for a green cover by the way, partly because it won't show the dirt we will inevitably have falling on the roof from the trees, and partly because it is less obvious.

As soon as I have a proper list of materials, I'll put it up here.

Last edited by Andy_in_Germany; 05-12-2013 at 06:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Administrator

For my two cents, (and that may be all this is worth) Claudius has worked extensively on building yurts and I would tend to believe him. Also, I think he is probably right that a blend of fabrics will offer you the best outcome over the long run.
Andy_in_Germany likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Administrator

How is your project going?
Old 08-14-2013, 05:05 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Member

Hello Jafo, thanks for asking...

Hehe. Nowhere fast, mainly due to me being stuck in Japan visiting inlaws at the moment, but my 3 year carpentry apprenticeship is taking a lot of time and energy. Of course this means long term that I'll be able to get the yurt moving and have a nice workshop to help. but it is very frustrating as I wanted to be moving by now.

On the other hand I've found a room that is suitable for making the Yurt and I think I'll get permission to use it as soon as I have a proper plan and know how long I'll need it and built up the courage to ask, of course...
Jafo likes this.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:05 AM   #19
Yurt Forum Member

Making slow and probably not obvious progress.

This doesn't help either:

This tree inconsiderately fell over on the bit of ground that I want to site the Yurt. I'm glad it happened now and not after the Yurt was in place, but removal is proving tricky as it is at the bottom of a very steep hill with no road access. To give an idea of scale the white stick is 2m (6') long.

So here is what I've been doing: cutting and digging steps out so when I've finally managed to get someone with a chainsaw to cut the tree up, we can carry the remains out safely.

there's a more detailed version of the story here.

I'm also working on a compost WC so we can work here without having to use the bushes for calls of nature.

Getting there, indirectly and slowly, but we're getting there...
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Member

It's been while. Soon after I wrote the last post I was unable to work on the Yurt or indeed anything else due to health issues. The are fortunately now improving,and so are several other things:

With support from my college I graduated and I'm now qualified as acarpenter and working on a further qualification as an occupational therapist which ilvolves lots of woodwork and also working in coty farms and workshops for people with disabilities. This means I've gained a lot of skills, practiced my woodworking skills, and managed to get some contacts with people who won't automatically say I'm mad for even trying to build a Yurt, and who may even help out with a few things.

I also managed to get access to a room big enough to build the Yurt and still have space to work around it in the dry before building it outside.

So I have run out of excuses and I'm going to try again.

Right then...

So, I'm trying again.
Jafo, Bob Rowlands and hierony like this.

Tags
None