Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Building 30ft Yurt

Old 03-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #31
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Building 30ft yurt

That makes perfect sense to me.

Glad I came here, much to learn.

Much CAN be learned if attention is paid.
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #32
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey Ethan,
I talked to my friend Dave, and he recommended putting the door on the side opposite wherever the prevailing winds come from. You probably already have the direction your door will face figured out from other factors, but it's something to consider.
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 03-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #33
Yurt Forum Youngin

Good, thanks. The property is completely untouched right now so i will have to pay attention to where the wind is from. although it might not even be a factor, i would like to build half way down in a gully area near a brook, lots of trees around, my hope is that the wind won't blow hard and it will stay cooler in the summer.
Ethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:05 PM   #34
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello all, I have been quite busy lately but still working some on the yurt, will be working on it all this weekend and i hope to have the ring and rafters finished. its coming along though, pics up soon
Old 04-25-2014, 06:03 AM   #35
Yurt Forum Addict

I am looking forward to seeing it Ethan.

Do you have a family?

I have made layouts for my 21' dia one with the two extra window walls added and find everything I want in it fits fine in the space. But I also plan a close by shop and under the

yurt platform

a shed for goats and chickens.

Traditionally in Mongolia the yurt was oriented for the door to face to the south with the back to the north and west from where their harsh weather comes. Mine will have the door face south and one window to the east.

Last edited by Jake; 04-25-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #36
Yurt Forum Addict

Typically, when people are faced with having to stand around outside in nasty weather, they scrunch up their shoulders, hunker their heads down in their coats and face their backs into the wind and driving rain and snow. Around here that means they are facing southeast.

I faced my yurt door to the south for similar reasons, in addition to enjoying the sunrise early in the morning. Spend some time in a tent and you'll probably start facing the door to the southest or thereabouts.

Nomadic peoples traditionally erecting their dwellings with the door oriented to the south or east. My experience jives with that. As you can tell from some of my posts I'm something of a traditionalist. I like learning what others have experienced. Somehow it makes me feel connected in time to others that came before me. It's almost a sign of respect to emulate the wisdom of simpler times.
Jake and Marshall Eppley like this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #37
Yurt Forum Youngin

No family yet, I'm 22yrs getting married soon though. it will be my first home. I guess the door will be south or south west, i have a spectacular place to build, down in a gully near a brook. its about 12 feet elevation above the brook then there is hill behind that and across the brook as well. good trees all over the place. hard to explain. In theory it will be cooler in the summer time and out of the wind in the fall and winter, making for a perfect spot. snow has finally melted here and I'm excited to start cutting timber and prepping the land. might start a new thread for that.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #38
Yurt Forum Addict

Thumbs up Re: Building 30ft yurt

You are off to a great start Ethan. I hope that she really likes the outdoors!

My Yurt I am hoping to be my last home, with whatever repairs are needed over time.

Figuring out the increased circumference with adding the two standard windows it brings the dia up to just over the 24' . I have included everything on the floor plan that I use now, except for the shop. I am debating either building a separate yurt for it, or a pole type shed off the platform next to the critters pen under the platform. Much to think about on that.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #39
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello All! just came back from summer of work and am excited to begin work on the yurt again. I will be posting much more frequently now.
Jafo and Marshall Eppley like this.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #40
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Ethan, I'm very interested in potentially building a similarly sized yurt. I was wondering if you could point me to plans or a materials list.
chris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None