Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

20' Design Questions...

Old 01-30-2013, 10:35 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default 20' design questions...

Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but excited to see all the great info and photos. Here is my story, so to speak. I currently live in Southwest Colorado with my wife and 18 month old boy. I am wanting to build a 20' yurt from scratch for us and have just been having some time trying to find design details for a 20' diameter.

I am curious to talk with anyone who has built a 20 foot yurt. Particularly my questions include:

1) the correct lattice length to achieve a 6' and 7' high wall

2) the number of rafters necessary if built with 2x6? As in do they still need to land on every cross or can there be larger spacing?

I would be especially interested in talking with people who have dealt with snow load design as well...I have seen what the companies are doing but am interested in what others have experienced.

I would also love to hear from people who live in a 20' diameter, particularly families, and their experience living in that size.

Thanks a ton!

BearRoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Bear i have never built a 20 ft but i have built 3 16ft the wall for my yurts were 50ft long and 6ft high. and had 32 1x3 rafters. just my 2 cents worth. good luck with your build. i know the rafters are a little skimpy but i know they hold up to at least 30 inches of wet snow. but if i were building some thing to live in i would beef them up a bit.

Last edited by Marshall Eppley; 01-31-2013 at 07:02 PM.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts

Tags
None