Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

18Foot Yurt Platform Blueprint

Old 08-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default 18Foot Yurt Platform Blueprint

Been looking for a platform blueprint with material list for a 18 foot yurt. For some reason I am have been unable to find this for 18’ yurt.

Any ideas on where I can get a hold of this info?
TIA

Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:24 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: 18Foot Yurt Platform Blueprint

Would a 20' work?
MT Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 08-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Can't help with plans/details. For waterproofness, the yurt cover absolutely needs to drape down the outside BELOW the interior floor height. Speaking from personal experience I would either make the platform the size of the yurt, (so the cover extends down the outside of the platform) or much wider than the yurt. Why? If wider then you need to set the yurt on a platform built atop the larger platform, so the cover extends down as above. If you opt for the two platform system, simply make the lower platform that is your yurt diameter from 2x4 or 2x6 framed edge up. Insulate the bays with foam. The decking below will protect it from critters getting into it. Nice dry warm draft freefloor and no bugs. Have fun and good luck. Also remember if you opt for double deck system to leave gaps between the deck board on the bigger platform so water can drain off.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Correction on the two deck comment. The UPPER platform should be built with 2x on edge. I'm sure there are other systems better systems and possibly cheaper systems but that is how I would do it. My current 12'6" yurt sits on the old 16' platform unraised, and water comes inside under that cover in heavy rains. But I don't live in there so no problem.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

One of the yurt companies here might sell you a plan. In general, plans are adaptable to various sites. The support system for the frame needs adapting to site conditions. If you have a tough sloped and rocky site you really need to get a carpenter/builder out there and have him figure out the details. If the site is flat and easy have your capenter figure this stuff out.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:12 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thank you for you responses.

We are DIYers so will be building it ourselves. Yes, I've looked into the double deck idea, but going to keep it as simple as possible and add a outside deck later on.
The plans I've looked at have a piece of thin plywood encircling the outer edge with a height of 6" above floor level to attach the side walls to.
We live in Minnesota and are planning on using cinder blocks placed at ground level. There doesn't appear to be evidence of frost heaving at the building site. So this should be sufficient.
The reason an 18' plan is neccessary for us is so we know how many of each material we will need to purchase.
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 08:06 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Glad you guys are DIYers. If you are setting the frame on blocks, it is low to the ground and that would be very similar to my platform.

You didn't ask but I'll toss this out there.

Level the site. Get the blocks in on 16" or 32" centers. Use string line for level. Plan on a square frame 18x18 on 16" centers. If you can't get 20' studs, simply lap ten footers in the middle. Frame it up and square it. Fine tune the platform for level once again using shims or adjusting the concrete blocks. Be a whole lot of blocks under there I'd guess about 72 or so.

Now that the frame is level and setting on the blocks, squared up. Find the focal point and draw a circle 18' or yurt diameter'. Cut the framing at those marks. Use the drops from the original square frame to fill in the perimeter edges between the 2x4 joists. Cover with 2x6s let them run wild. Cut those decks boards to yurt diameter. Run your six inch plywood rips around the perimeter and nail or screw into the 2x6 decking alon the edge.

Cheap. Way easier than piers post beams etc. Great deck board support with 16" centers. Works good at stopping critters. You can insulate with foam board in the joist bays before laying the decking. Caulk the seams once the decking dries out say in a month or so.

My 16' diameter platform is framed as above, attached to 3.5" thick concrete 'wafers' formed from 12" sonotube. I nailed strong tie anchors to the bottom of the joists so the anchor embedded in the mud. Bombproof as can be and 'dead' level. But not demountable. Have fun.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

I have around 48 pads under my framing if I remember right. I spanned no longer than 4' with 2x4 on edge. I put pads under every joist on 16" center. I do everything bombproof that's just how I roll. I sure wouldn't go with a big fancy frame if you are at a foot off the ground, and are thinking the yurt and deck needs to easily be dismantled in the future. BTW an 18' yurt is a DYNAMITE yurt size.. You can see my yurt, and a bit of the putside edge of the framing and pad, on Google images:

Bob Rowlands home made yurt

Mine is the rustic looking yurt with rafters either side if a gree entry door. There are some build details in the photos.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

'green entry door' Can't miss it. lol
Old 08-12-2019, 09:11 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

the way i did it for my 25 footer is I built a 26 by 26 and a pole 12.5 foot long with my circular saw on the one end and the other end nail so it would spin in the dead center and cut the 25 round platform that way
Bob Rowlands likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None