Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Building a Yurt
Advanced Search

Energy Codes

Old 07-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Energy Codes

My wife and I are wanting to to put up some Shelter Design Yurts in Newport Washington. Is there anyone who has put up a Yurt in Washington? Did you permit your build? How did you meet the Washington State Energy Code?
Any information would be great.

Newport John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Energy Codes

I am not from there but Steve is and we beat the washington permit code cause we was not contractor or did we put them up for money, but if we wanted to go on grid we had to follow there rules , so we went off grid and built everything cheap even the sun tracker, with the junk we found we drilled then pounded in 4 sandpoint for water fun fun lol, we put in some mad scientenst stuff that I came up with so he makes his own gas, methane we he crap and pee and kitchen stuff, he grows his own food in 5 gallon drums 90 plant per drum and year round used a old tolient for a water, and solar battery wall from old battery powerd tools drills saw they are 200 amps battery but we put it on a small 12 volt blower to power a tesla turbine that gives him so much power and we figured it out after 1 small exposion, and 2 220 (that kinda melted) volt circuit box so his yurt can run off battery with a.c. and water pump for 5 months on one bank or 2 years on one bank without charging them with solar 2 years is with the turbine, bascailly you are so lucky play and have fun but do not call me to help put up a wattle fence lol enjoy your yurt , you are so lucky have fun
Bob Rowlands likes this.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:12 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

We will be on grid with all the modern day conveniences. So it will be an up hill challenge.
Newport John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:17 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Member

If you are planning to stay on grid you will have to follow there rules good luck and have fun still think your lucky and remember everyone will have idea about your yurt, but its yours so whatever you do is correct
Old 07-26-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

IMO the ultimate goal with construction codes of all types is to keep people from dying. Combine poor design and shoddy materials and installation with electricity, gas, water, and heigth can kill people. Even with codes that still occurs. Driving two vehicles at eachother at 140 mph down a two lane blacktop road in poor condition is stupid but we all take it for granted. It's all in how you look at it.

While the ultimate goal of all building departments is 'protection of the public' there are plenty other factors that don't get covered. You can't fix stupid.

Lawsuits salaries retirements infrastructure and so on keep fees up there. It's the government and they are there to help. lol
Bob Rowlands is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Off topic. Drive into any major U.S. city and just look at the bridges road system lights etc. that we all take for granted all the time. It is mind blowing just how good we have it. You better believe there is NO shoddy materialsand crap cheap construction in those works, largely thanks to codes and standards. Try that in other countries and the ground shakes down comes everything due to payoffs cheaters crap building etc etc and so on. No don't get wrong I love my country. Dealing with it takes patience.
Old 07-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Member

Bob I am not sure where you are comming from, but the gentlemen has a ger he is putting together no one is complaining about the grid I was mistaken on what he was looking for but I own a ger(yurt) that I built in Ohio in and area with no grid at all or to expesive for to hook into (electric) so I went totally off grid I have everythink you have fridge a.c. light I just plug and go, I have a regular house in Columbus and I am fighting them about going off there electric grid I might have to sell them power that is my issue the forcing of them to keep us on the grid. I am not against the grid but it should be my choice not there. I am off everything but the electric so I will probley have to bury the wire so I dont have to look at it.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:56 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

I live in washington and was investigating a yurt.

Rainier Yurts

out of Seattle seemed to be able to meet the energy codes so you may want to check with them.
Kgilmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Check out 'slab city' on youtube. lol

Tags
shelter designs