Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Wanting To Paint My Yurt

Old 10-31-2016, 10:15 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Wanting to paint my yurt

I have a 24' yurt from

Pacific Yurts

. It was manufactured in 1999. I am the second owner. I'm not sure how long the first own had it set up before disassembling it and putting it in storage for a while. After I acquired it I had it in storage for a couple of years before getting it set up 5 years ago. It is now my primary residence.

When we were setting it up, we realized that somehow half of the sidewall was missing (there are doors at 6 and 12 o'clock, dividing the sidewalk into two pieces), so we had to order a new sidewall for that half. So, now I have one sidewall that is 5 years old, in great shape and with lots of life in it still, and one sidewall that is 17 years old and could use replacing. There are no holes or rips or anything in the older sidewall, but it's starting to look dingy and dull and lichen keeps trying to grow on it!

I don't want to go to the effort to replace only one half of the sidewall, and I don't want to replace the whole sidewall and lose out on years worth of wear on the newer half...so I'm wondering if painting the whole yurt might give me a few more years before I have to replace anything. I'm wanting to hear from anyone else who has painted a yurt, exactly what pain they used and how it worked for them and has held up over time.

I've read you have to use elastomeric paint. Lowe's has elastomeric paint that is labeled for use on masonry and stone. Is this what I'd want to use?

Thanks for any advice!

Amanda

missamandabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:40 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Wanting to paint my yurt

I would call the company and ask what you can wash the walls with to prevent the lichen from growing back once its been cleaned,, and also what to wash it with,,good luck
silvergramma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts