Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Repair
Advanced Search

Roll On Or Paint On Roof Sealant For Many Small Holes?

Old 10-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #11
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Default Re: Roll on or paint on roof sealant for many small holes?

I've had quite a few customers do this to extend the life of the cover so that they can save enough money to purchase a new one. Typically they get at least a couple of extra years out of it.
Marshall Eppley and fishnaked like this.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
Yurt Forum Youngin

Is there a particular brand or type? I found the following at Home Depot: ProteShield 5-gal. Elastomeric Waterproof Sealer-PSHLD5G at The Home Depot
fishnaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 10-07-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Pacific Yurts

There are lots of different brands that work well. I think Proteshield should work fine.
fishnaked likes this.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Youngin

Smile Re: Roll on or paint on roof sealant for many small holes?

I saw the Protoshield suggestion from Home Depot, and that sounds good. Is there something cheaper. Also, what about application methods? Roll-on or bug sprayer, which is best? thanks for your hel0pt. My son is living in a yrt in Trinidad California and he had to throw a large tarp over his 20' yurt due to leaks in the first rain of the year and I was thinking of going up there and helping him waterproof his canvas. Last time I saw it when I helped him move in, it seemed in fairly good shape and I imagine there are perhaps many worn or thin spots plus perhaps some tiny holes. Any advice?
Brad L. Smmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Pacific Yurts

A Google search for elastomeric paints may reveal a product that is less expensive, but I have not personally checked pricing. If cost is more of a concern than longevity you might want to simply apply a latex paint to seal up any leaks. It won't last as long as an elastomeric coating, but can get you by for a while.

Rolling or spraying are both acceptable application methods, but I would think spraying might result in a little smoother finish.
Jafo likes this.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello,

I wasn't able to get my yurt up last yr due to time constraints. I'm going for it now though!

I have patched all the larger holes in this cover by welding vinyl patches on. All the pin holes mentioned earlier are still there. I called the maker of Proteshield, the sealer I linked to previously and they said, "no" on it being used on vinyl.

Back to square one. Hoping someone can give a specific brand recommendation that is known to work.

Anyone?

Thanks.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:04 AM   #17
Yurt Forum Youngin

Well, after much Internet research, many phone calls, testing, and stress, I finally did it.

Several issues. One: There are dozens of different elastomeric paints on the market. Two: Most stuff won't stick to vinyl. Three: Much of the promising looking coatings are only available in 5 gallon buckets which, makes experimenting an expensive proposition.

I was lucky enough to find a paint store willing to open a couple different elastomeric paints to test on my test piece. Acrylic. Stuck great...until it got wet. Peeled right off.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a 100% silicone roof coating called Gaco Roof. It was available in one gallon sizes at $50. I tested it. Seemed to adhere fine so purchased a 5 gallon bucket and rolled it on. Two medium-thick layers on the roof and one thickish layer on the wall.

I did it with the cover off, on a concrete floor in a friends shop. Rolled it up around carpet tubes after it dried and unrolled it on the yurt, carefully.

Of the 6 gallons, I have about 1.25 gallons left. My yurt is 20' dia. I didn't paint the sections of the cover that I had to replace which accounted for ~100 sq feet. If I were doing this again, and painting an entire 20' yurt, I'd probably use 7-8 gallons. This is less than Gaco recommends but I still think it would be plenty thick.

Prior to painting, I scrubbed with hot soapy water, dried, then cleaned it with lacquer thinner (not fun).

Though this stuff has a 50 yr warranty, I have no idea how long it will hold up for my application. Thus far, I'm optimistic. The $325 I'm in to it is less than a new $2000 cover.

Lastly, the Gaco Roof is available in a slew of different colors...as long as you're buying 5 gallons of it.

Hope this helps someone out there.
Jafo and Marshall Eppley like this.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #18
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi there. I just bought a used yurt that could use a good cleaning and maybe a coat of paint. I see you posted in october of 2014. How has the Gaco held up?

thanks your posts have been helpful.
Bccarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:52 AM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bccarl View Post
Hi there. I just bought a used yurt that could use a good cleaning and maybe a coat of paint. I see you posted in october of 2014. How has the Gaco held up?

thanks your posts have been helpful.
Hi,

I was just there 10 days ago and thus far, it looks to have wintered well. A small amount of the silicone was rubbed off where ropes and bungees holding down a window flap have rubbed against the wall. However, as windy as it is there, I would not expect anything to hold up.

Something that I found interesting is that the brownish stuff (creosote?) that has come out of the chimney and run down the roof, has peeled up the silicone. Looked like a chemical reaction.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

FN
Old 09-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hey there. I am so thankful for your post!
I am need of help!
We are working with al coal yurt company out of North Carolina.
Me and my husband are in Tennessee about to move onto our land on a land conservancy, and we are building all of our parts for our yurt, currently.
I just bought 10 gallons of gaco, plus a test kit. The kit did not adhere well onto our fabric., (Canvas blend with fire retardant)

Since it is not the typical application, i am not worried about it as long I speak to someone who has done this before. So far, you are my only guy to help.
It soaks in well, just doest pass the kit standards.

We are wondering if it would be better to apply the gaco once the yurt is already up, or if there is anything to worry about with painting it beforehand like you have done?
I am scared that if we have to roll it up to store for any amount of time, once painted, that it will stick to itself and tear off. Is this a problem to word about?

Our yurt will be 10 foot off the ground with a base. So painting would definitely be easier now. We are trying to be in there before winter, but also worried about applying it in the cold temps.

Also, any ideas on whereto find cheap 100% wool for

insulation

? We are looking on allibaba, overseas, but as a last resort. We have reflectix, we just want an additional layer.

Please get back with me asap.
We are in the thick of this process, wondering what move to make next.

Thank you!

Meg Chapman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnaked View Post
Well, after much Internet research, many phone calls, testing, and stress, I finally did it.

Several issues. One: There are dozens of different elastomeric paints on the market. Two: Most stuff won't stick to vinyl. Three: Much of the promising looking coatings are only available in 5 gallon buckets which, makes experimenting an expensive proposition.

I was lucky enough to find a paint store willing to open a couple different elastomeric paints to test on my test piece. Acrylic. Stuck great...until it got wet. Peeled right off.

To make a long story short, I ended up with a 100% silicone roof coating called Gaco Roof. It was available in one gallon sizes at $50. I tested it. Seemed to adhere fine so purchased a 5 gallon bucket and rolled it on. Two medium-thick layers on the roof and one thickish layer on the wall.

I did it with the cover off, on a concrete floor in a friends shop. Rolled it up around carpet tubes after it dried and unrolled it on the yurt, carefully.

Of the 6 gallons, I have about 1.25 gallons left. My yurt is 20' dia. I didn't paint the sections of the cover that I had to replace which accounted for ~100 sq feet. If I were doing this again, and painting an entire 20' yurt, I'd probably use 7-8 gallons. This is less than Gaco recommends but I still think it would be plenty thick.

Prior to painting, I scrubbed with hot soapy water, dried, then cleaned it with lacquer thinner (not fun).

Though this stuff has a 50 yr warranty, I have no idea how long it will hold up for my application. Thus far, I'm optimistic. The $325 I'm in to it is less than a new $2000 cover.

Lastly, the Gaco Roof is available in a slew of different colors...as long as you're buying 5 gallons of it.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Last edited by Jafo; 09-28-2015 at 05:31 PM.
leggymeggyorganic is offline   Reply With Quote