Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Yurt Complex

Old 06-02-2014, 06:05 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Exclamation Yurt complex

Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to yurts but am planning a fairly large yurt complex consisting of 7 yurts joined together in various places. My main question is how I can get plumbing and electricity at up as well as is a 3360+ Square foot base for the yurt complex to sit on possible to achieve?
I know it's a mad ambition but please no unreasonable comments
Thanks to anyone who can help!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140602_120556.jpg
Views:	721
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	617  
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Yurt complex

I am not 100% sure what your question is, but from the looks of your drawing, you would just run your plumbing underneath the yurts?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 06-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
I am not 100% sure what your question is, but from the looks of your drawing, you would just run your plumbing underneath the yurts?
Hi Jafo,
I was just wondering if it was possible to build a platform large enough and strong enough to support this large yurt collection or if it was impossible.
Thanks for your help!
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Hey Cloe - It's always possible!
Entire houses can be built sitting on wood platforms, to a degree. All you have to consider is the load and the supports. It sounds like you are thinking about one contiguous platform for the whole setup. Is that right?
I have a couple of ideas - 1) the easier (in terms of not needing to engineer something yourself) build individual platforms for each based on plans made by an established yurt company, and then tie those platforms together. You could do multi-level stuff hat way.
2) Talk to someone experienced (like an architect) and have them draw up plans for it. I don't think that would cost too much.
3) Wing it. If you (or someone you know) has experience building, you could probably pull it off fine.
You might consider a foundation, too.
Good luck!
Jafo and chloe like this.

Last edited by Dan R-M; 06-03-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: accuracy
Dan R-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Addict

Being a Plumber the plumbing would not be a problem.just keep in mind sewage needs to head towards the tap grade wise and the water could run just about anywhere under ground and tee off to needed areas.
chloe likes this.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Fantastic! Thanks for all your help everyone! It had been very reassuring
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have another question!!!

If my yurts are going to be set up permanently, do they need to have heavy-duty groundsheets if they will sit on platforms? Also, do they need maintenance such as cleaning very often???

Thanks
Old 06-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

If your yurt is sitting on a flat platform that has gapped decking, most of the water should drain off. However you could set the yurt on top of a tarp and tuck the edge of the tarp up under the cover on the outside of the wall lattice. Secure the cover over the floor tarp by snugging up the lowest tension rope. That will give a bath tub floor that won't allow water in along the edge. Also it will stop floor drafts.

However, if water gets in through the roof ring, or elsewhere, you'll have to deal with that. Obviously if you have a woodstove, you'll need to keep the tarp covered with fireproof board, or tile, brick, a tray covered with gravel, etc.

As far as maintaining the exterior of the yurt, I have had my yurt up for about a year now, and I've never cleaned the cover. The inside of the yurt gets swept regularly due to the woodstove and cooking. My yurt is basically like an unimproved cabin.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #9
Manufacturer Representative
Pacific Yurts

Chloe,

Maintenance needed for the yurts will depend on the materials used for the coverings and the site conditions. In wet environments cotton or cotton-containing fabrics will require very regular cleaning with mild soap to prevent staining and extend the life of the material. Other fabrics and drier climates can require less regular cleaning.
Pacific Yurts is offline   Reply With Quote