Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

Tips/floor Plan For Family

Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Tips/floor plan for family

Hello! We are a family of 5 that would really like to live in a '30 yurt. We currently live in a home that is 1000 square feet so it shouldn't be too tricky for us to downsize. My husband and I have 3 little girls (ages 4, 2 and newborn) who could conceivably share a bedroom for several years to come. (Maybe one day we can buy and attach a second yurt to become their bedroom!)

I would love to know if anyone on this forum lives in a yurt with children? If yes, any tips you have would be helpful! I am particularly interested in finding a good 2 bedroom floor plan. Its also important to me that my husband and I maintain a bit of privacy... Since I've obviously never lived in a yurt, I am mostly looking for tips and considerations that I might overlook while designing ours. Thanks in advance!

Chelsea

groveladderfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 05:55 AM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Tips/floor plan for family

Wow, well good luck. I would consider A loft option on at least half the yurt. That will save you the most space and give you the most visual privacy. As far as sound privacy, that just isn't possible in a yurt lol.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 06:23 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

^ good to know! Well i would like to STOP having so many babies haha so maybe this is a good thing!
Jafo likes this.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Privacy and modesty are pretty recent in our human makeup. It is my opinion sounds during lovemaking are only recently considered taboo and not for children and others to hear. For as long as there have been families living in open tents of one type or another, the children and whoever else was present would not only heard it but possibly seen it, and found it a normal part of life. Just a guess.
groveladderfarm likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yes I'm certain. I've had three home births (for the last birth six weeks ago both my daughters were present) so I'm not worried about traumatizing them or anything. I would just like the idea of a bit of an escape from them after a long day!

When I told my mom I wanted to live in a yurt her comment was: "Well, that's all very Dances with Wolves!" (Referring to the scene where they are all sleeping together in one tent)
Jafo, MT Rod, Melissa and 1 others like this.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:50 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi,
No experiences yet, but we will be living in our yurt soon with our 7 month old-daughter. 3 hours after she was born we all crawled into bed together and never came out (well, obviousely, we do get up every morning, but it will take a long time before she will be sleeping in a seperate bed in a seperate room.

We will only be living in the yurt during the building of our straw bale house, so by the time she might need her own room we will be living in the house. But I guess with 3 growing up girls/teenagers, a seperate room would be nice for them. Or indeed, by that time, a mini-yurt. They'd probably love that
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
Babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:16 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Positive 'can do' attitude right here folks.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #8
Manufacturer Representative

A few floor plans here: https://www.facebook.com/coloradoyur...09943702429564
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:53 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Just wondering if you made a decision?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Check out concentric yurts. We live in a small one and it was very private in the outer ring. The center was our "living room" and the outer ring had kitchen, desk, bedroom. Didn't really hear the person on the other side.
Andy_in_Germany likes this.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote