Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Plans
Advanced Search

First Time Building A Yurt

Old 11-02-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default First time building a yurt

After months of research and years of wanting one I finally purchased a yurt! Now that I have it is starting to set in what a massive project I have taken on.

With that said I am looking for any advice for a first timer. What are the pitfalls, are the pro's and con's to the way you build your deck, if you use 2" x 6" tongue and groove can you still put down a vapor barrier and

insulation

?

At this point it feels like I have more questions than answers.

BTW - its a 30' yurt and I am not planning on living in it. It is going to be a weekend getaway in the pacific northwest.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

memmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
Administrator

Welcome Marc!

I used 2X6 tongue and groove in my yurt. Mine is a weekend getaway too. I did not put down any vapor barrier at all. You can insulate between the supports with foam board, standard

insulation

, spray foam, etc..

Did you get the snow and wind kit?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Marc,
Welcome. The platform for me was the biggest issue.
A couple of things I would do differently if I was starting over and building a platform is to consider is this going to be open space, have a loft, walls or sections and what will be in there: wood stove, bed, couch, shower etc

I say all this because I used the floor plan that has the joists 4' apart rather than 2' or building from the center out and if I wanted to install a loft or shower I would have to be very sure I was over the joists or shore them up

I shored up the floor where the wood stove was going and where I store wood

But bottom line go online and look for various platforms, see which one makes sense for what you are wanting

I would not use advantec and instead go right for t&g. It easier to install and to cut
I didn't useable vapor barrier but I did insulate between joists with 2" pink board

Keep us posted on what direction you go in. Once the platform is up the yurt will go up pretty easy. The other challenge if you use a wood stove is the chimney pipe. Jacob has the best solution I have seen yet!

Corina
Corvi&Alexis2018 likes this.
Corinarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:54 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the advice. It was really helpful, I wouldn't have thought about considering the interior when building the platform. I do plan to build rooms with a loft above so I will reconsider my platform plans.

I did get the snow and wind kit. We don't get much snow here but since I wont always be there I figured a little extra strength might give me some peace of mind.

as soon as I get things going I will post some pictures.

Thanks again
Marc
memmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yurt plans, yurt platform