Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Yurt In North Carolina

Old 07-08-2017, 04:23 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Yurt In North Carolina

Hello friends,

Apologies if some of these things have been answered - I've spent a good amount of time on these forums but can't find answers to everything in my specific situation, so I figured I'd create a post and see if some folks can weigh in.

I'm moving onto a farm in Mebane, North Carolina, halfway in between Greensboro and Raleigh. It gets very hot in the summers - it'll stay between 95-100 for weeks sometimes, and stays very humid most of the year. Today it's around 60% humidity, and sometimes gets much much higher throughout the summer and winter.

My partner have been interested in getting a yurt, but we're wondering if it's actually possible to survive year-round in that kind of heat and humidity. If so, what ways are practical to keep the yurt cool and the humidity down.

We both do work on computers and various electronics, so we're wondering if there are ways to keep the humidity and temperature even enough that we don't destroy our electronics.

I'm also wondering if there are kinds of

insulation

that are important for these problems, and other kinds that aren't worth the money.

And my last question is - I've looked at many yurt companies and a lot of them seem to offer pretty similar products. Are there a few companies that are very known for being much better than others? And enough better than others that it's worth paying more shipping for them?

Sorry, I know that's a lot - if you have any thoughts or answers to one or any of these questions, it'd be so appreciated! Thank you!

David

thewimby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Yurt In North Carolina

My traditional-style yurt gets 15-30 degs hotter than outside air temp during noon-day sun. With white lumber wraps up, it's more like 5-10 degs hotter. The Palouse region of E Wa/N Id cools down pretty well in the evening/nighttime though, with relatively low humidity. My yurt cools down well with the air temps, unlike some buildings (slowly warming during day, hot until midnight). Highs/lows right now of 95/60. Most people around here don't have air conditioning.

My laptop has been generally fine--it will overheat, especially if the bad battery is overcharging, the vents get blocked, or it's getting direct sun. When I get the lumber wraps up again, it shouldn't be such a problem.

Most modern yurts use the reflective bubble wrap

insulation

. It will likely have a distinct advantage in your hot climate. Hopefully someone will chime in with their experience. A light colored yurt covering (sides & top) would be helpful. A well-sealed platform & covering would also be good for AC (my canvas seals well, but the platform & door are very leaky--5+ ACH in all likelihood).
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 07-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

I roll up the bottom of the cover a couple feet, and tuck it in the middle tension rope, and raise the china cap up off the the ring, to create a nice cooling draft. Well..not really cooling unless it is very early in the AM. As for what to do in high humidity and heat, no comment as it would be mere speculation not based on experience. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Yurts have high ceilings and venting domes for the hot air to escape, which is nice. But if it's 100 out and you don't have AC, it won't be any cooler in the yurt. No thermal
mass to hold the cooler air from the night before. If you can tuck the yurt under a grove of trees - or shade it somehow, that will help a lot. Maybe get (or rig) window and door awnings. All those things will help. That said, many a night I walk outside with a gallon of water to dump over my head.

Perhaps you could also build a small, well insulated, stick built outbuilding with A/C and dehumidifier as a workspace. In colder climates, some folks do that for their bathroom/laundry.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:21 AM   #5
Administrator

I would simply get an AC unit for those days.

Most of the major manufacturers out there sell quality yurts.

Blue Ridge yurts

makes high quality yurts and you could save by picking up instead of delivery. As they are in Virginia, the trek would not be that long:

Blue Ridge Yurts - Home Page

If shipping costs are not an issue, I would recommend any of the major manufacturers. Our sponsors include most of them (see banners on the top and right).
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

Another alternative is to keep direct sunlight off the yurt, by erecting a huge tarp above the yurt. Something as simple as a frame made from 1" or bigger emt, and fittings, will support a trap. Cheaper yet would be rope strung between two posts, or trees? That way the yurt isn't absorbing all that direct sunlight.

A conventionally framed 10 x 12 shed, with full insulation, and with a conventional wall or window mount air conditioner will stay pleasantly cool. You could have your work area/office, plus a bed in there so at least at night you can get some good rest. The building can sit on top of the ground to get by any of those gov't 'permanent structure' glitches so they can get yet more taxes out of you.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Small sheds are built with 2x4s. If you insulate that shed with 3" sheet foam from Depot or Lowes, and fit it tight between the framing you will stay cooler than with traditional fiberglass batts. In fact that littleshed would be a cool sanctuary on the hottest of days. And the same size as a 12' yurt btw. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:02 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Laurel Nest Yurts

is based in North Carolina. You may want to ask them about their experience.
darcyoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:27 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Yep, i've been builing yurts for years. I live here in Pittsboro, NC. You need A/C. Which actually is much easier to do then you would think. Feel free to shoot me an email, or msg.

[email protected]

Jeff/Pente.
Pente is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None