Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Year-Round Yurt Living Locations

Old 09-13-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Year-Round Yurt Living Locations

Hello! I'm new to the forum and to yurts. My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Alaska and stayed in our first yurt. It was large and upscale. We long to live by the ocean and are looking at Oregon - we currently live in Central Arizona, where at least we have a few pine trees. Here is our situation and what we need/want:

A piece of land with some evergreens (My understanding of year-round yurt living is that some communities turn a blind eye, but it's not exactly legal. So it's important that we're in an area where other people are doing permanent yurt living and getting away with it)

Not too far a drive from a major body of water (20 minutes tops)

Not too far a drive from a major town or city (20 minutes tops)

MUST have excellent internet

We would need a loan on any land we buy (does any lender do this knowing there will be a yurt on the property?)

We would need a loan on the yurt. We could come up with a few thousand. I know Pacific Yurt works with a lender that will do up to $15,000.

We are considering other progressive areas near water, like Vermont or Northern CA. Any information or leads are much appreciated. Thanks a bunch!

Jen

talkingdogstudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Year-Round Yurt Living Locations

Welcome to yurt forum im sure folks will chime in shortly with info you can use. Because you came to the right place.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Addict

Get on google maps and check the pacific coast a couple hundred miles north of San Francisco CA, and then on up the coast through Oregon and into WA. Drop dead beautiful country everywhere. I've been through there back in the 70s.

There are several large coastal towns that might offer employment as well.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:06 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for your reply, Rob. But are you saying these areas are yurt friendly?
Old 09-14-2014, 03:42 PM   #5
Administrator

The only real way you are going to find that out is to talk with a local ordinance office. That really varies from town to town. From my experience on here, the further you are from snow, the friendlier they get.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks, Jafo. Do you live in a yurt year-round? If so, where?
Old 09-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #7
Administrator

I do not. I use my yurt for a camp/getaway.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi everyone. One of the most beautiful things about this forum is that we are all focused on simple low cost housing in a natural setting. That being said, please do not borrow even a dollar for your project. Have patience and save. We recently bought 8 acres in upstate new york with cash that we saved. That was not easy but it was necessary. We have a perfect spot for a yurt. Next step is just preparing the site for a 24 foot yurt. We'll clear the field, and start digging holes for footings and set up the beams as our cash flow allows. We like the

Pacific Yurts

package and we'll keep saving until we can buy one. The freedom to live as we want to without payments is what keeps us going. All our local building code guy wanted to know is whether or not it was insulated and if we were going to have a heat source. Other than that he couldn't care less if it was a yurt or a cabin. I know different areas will have different rules. We are in the foothills of the Adirondacks. I'm gonna be chiming in again with questions about the

yurt platform

and using SIPs soon.
Jafo likes this.
Graydoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi, not exactly sure how this works and if it will help with locations, but i am in the process of finishing my 30' Rainier yurt in southern Oregon, Brookimgs or.i have ran into a few issues with curry co. The main issue is

insulation

value, then wind load was an issue. I had upgraded the structure and were close to their requirements. They wanted 105 mph rating and with upgraded roofing blocks were rated at 95 mph.I was red flagged on platform construction and had to take my engineered plans from Rainer, to county and got ok to build, was told by building permit office i could erect yurt then come back and he would give me a decision on how he would permit it.after yurt was up i went back and was told that the only way he could do it was to consider it a secondary structurr and i agreed to build another structure(no time frame) that is min. 320 sq ft. ( basicly a garage.iI know confusing, right? Anyway dude was really cool. About my location, im 10 minutes from ocean beaches, 3 miles up winchick river. Out of ocean fog. I paid $60,000 for 1 acre w/ warer, septic and temp power, looking around there were better properties out there but very few with septic, water and power. If any questions email me at toddstowers@icloud. Com
todd.stowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

You might want to look at the Eugene OR area. Easy quick (20-30 min) route out to the Ocean but safely inland away from tsunami. Eugene has a nice river running thought it with a large park along the shores. It is a very progressive town. And it is a short distance to Cottage Grove where

Pacific Yurts

is located. You can go wander their Yurt display until they make yours. You can pick your yurt up from them rather than get it shipped.
ineffableone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None