Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

What Is Going On In Your Yurtiverse?

Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #11
Manufacturer Representative
Shelter Designs

Default Re: What is going on in your yurtiverse?

As it sounds like with others, Shelter Designs' yurtiverse is busy, busy here in 2013. For instance, we have 5 yurts heading out in the next 7 days going to Oregon, Washington, South Dakota, Montana and Idaho, three of which we will be assisting in the set up of. The yurt next door in Idaho is a 40', which are always amazing to see go up! We will be sure to post some pictures soon. Summer camps, guest ranches, and retreat centers are just some of the commercial businesses we have sent yurts to this year, as well as plenty of residential yurts too. We here at SD are very excited to see these incredible, sustainable structures becoming so popular across the board worldwide and can't wait to see what the future will bring! Whether you build your own or buy from one of the numerous reputable companies available, we hope everyone's yurtiverse is rockin' right along!
Jafo likes this.
Shelter Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
Manufacturer Representative

Send a message via Skype™ to Groovyyurts

Congrats to Melissa!

Can't resist to share that picture of a well deserved few days holidays in the "campink yurt" (that's what you're up to in a few years Melissa:-) after a very busy and groovy delivery tour - 17 yurts delivered and mostly set-up in 3 weeks from the Altantic to 9000ft high in Utah.

Happy Summer to yurt all!

Jafo and Marshall Eppley like this.
Groovyyurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #13
Administrator

Hey everyone. We have had a lot of rain here in the Adirondacks, so I used that time to burn off much of the accumulated branches, tree tops, etc., that I had piled up at the yurt camp. It has really been too dry to do that for a while. It really looks a lot better.

I have also been removing some trees near the yurt. I have found a safe, and fun way of doing this so I don't have to worry about hitting the yurt or anything else. Here is a video of me using my winch at home to take down a tree near a bunch of stuff like the power line, deck, etc.. This tree and most of the other pines around it are dead (or dying) so they have to go. They are really close to the house so I don't have much of a choice. Using the winch gives you a lot of control as to where they land. The one in this video came up rootball and all!
Attached Files
File Type: mp4 timber.mp4 (16.61 MB, 0 views)
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 PM   #14
Administrator

Will be heading up to the yurt in a couple days and staying for about a week. Really looking forward to getting away!
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:30 AM   #15
Yurt Forum Addict

Hope you guys have a great time.
Marshall Eppley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:15 PM   #16
Yurt Forum Addict

Well, we've decided to take the plunge. Again. Only this time the pool has accurate depth markers, and we know people who have enjoyed the swim.
We have ordered from

Pacific Yurts

, gotten the snow and wind kit, and are enthusiastic to begin living full-time and year-round in a yurt we're sure won't fall on us. It's 20', so it will fit on the old platform. As soon as the yurt arrives and there is a certainty of clear weather, I'll sand down the t&g 2x6 floor, give it a few layers of polyurethane, and put that sucker up. Whew!
I've also changed my location to something a little more ambiguous, at least until we've figured out what our zoning and permitting situation is.
Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked.
Jafo and Pacific Yurts like this.

Last edited by Dan R-M; 07-31-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Dan R-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Administrator

That is great news! You are going to love it. I am at my PY right now, and have been up here since Sunday. Well, no need telling you, you have seen all my posts about how I love it up here. Remember, take a lot of pics!!!!!
Old 08-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #18
Administrator

Had a great time. I got a lot done up there. The solar worked perfect the entire week. I had what seemed to be endless power the entire time.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi,fellow yurtists...
Allen and I are trying to get our act together to build our yurt...Our biggest hurdle is dealing with the permit police. Next town over, no permit required. Our town, new(and different) code enforcement guy. he's nervous about us leasing the land and wants us to dig thru the codes to show him why we don't need a permit.

We are going to dismantle and store our yurt each fall (no snow-load issues, and critters can't move in), so it's a non-permanent structure.

We had planned to hold a workshop and do most of the construction ourselves, but this causes more issues with the permit police.

If anyone can help us out with this issue, we'd be forever grateful.
Thanks, Martha

PS if any one knows of yurt builders in Maine or Vermont, I'd love a heads up before Sunday... we're going to NH to see two there, and could squeeze in a couple more.

Last edited by [email protected]; 08-22-2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: adding a PS
marthalum@tds.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
Yurt Forum Youngin

well...

i know im a bit late in this thread but since there have been posts in this month... I'm goin for it (haha).

so we moved away from our beautiful yurts and 55 acres in February to an old farm house an hour away. it sucked for the most part so we decided to put into action our 3 year long plan to move back to 'my' hometown in southern BC. So end of April we landed in our destination almost 6000 kms away. My wonderful husband moved all that way for me (God love him). We got there and realized my hometown had a populations explosion that I was not made aware of... not really the sweet small town I left... holy cow. Anyways my island born husband suggested we move back since he would rather set himself on fire and drink motor oil than stay there... and almost 4 months after the big move we are now back at our yurts in PEI... to stay. We really learned a lot while away... about ourselves and our family and our future what our kids need... and what we really want out of life. Now we are back with a new plan and no plans to evacuate the island (which had been my sole personal goal for years haha) so all those plans and things i have been putting on hold to do with our home I guess I have no excuse not to!

I'm excited to be back and to get started on everything. And now I'll have more time to creep the forum (lucky you guys).

Glad to read about so many wonderful events and plans in everyones lives! And exciting news about the new baby (I know I'm a bit late in reading that haha).
amberoons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
moisture