Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Water Supply For Off-grid Living

Old 07-06-2015, 01:51 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Member

Default Water supply for off-grid living

Hello guys.

I have finally found a piece of land where I plan to set my Yurt up. I already have a plan on electricity but no plan really on water supply.
Originally I was planning of getting a waterfront property but failed to find one. So the questions are:

Does anyone have experience of digging a well in Canada? (zoning - agricultural)

Another alternative?

Thank you
Kochevnik

kochevnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 02:56 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Water supply for off-grid living

Are you planning on drinking this water? Will you be living there year round, including the winter?
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Member

Eventually I hope to live there year round. I am not sure if I will be able to get ready for this winter though.

Any water will be fine at this stage, since I can build a distiller to make it drinkable.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:05 PM   #4
Administrator

I would go with rainwater then for now. I am not sure about your specific yurt, but mine has a water diverter above the door. I have a 50 gallone rain barrel on one side and it fills up pretty fast. I then pump that water into a large water tote (400+ gallon). However, that is for my camp; I do not live their full time.

Just an idea.
Jafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Member

Good idea. I will see how to implement it once I get confirmation from land owner.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I suggest looking into driving a shallow well. In fact my husband is outside right now as I type this driving in a well point outside our yurt. First step is a pitcher pump and second stage will be actually plumbing it in with an electric jet pump for shallow wells. Third stage is once we build the loft into the yurt we will be putting a 200-300 gallon tank up on the loft that we will pump into and gravity feed the sink with. We are in New Hampshire so we see COLD winters here. From what I have been able to dig up though with proper design and practice we should be able to keep the yurt supplied year round with well water. Basically during the coldest times we will disable the sensor on the pump and the check valve so that water does drain back down the into the well instead so then you do not have an issue with freezing pipes. The idea is prime the pump and turn it on to pump into the large tank in the yurt and turn off once you have filled it. We will still be running the pipes 3 feet down and only about 10 feet of distance from the well point to the point it will enter the yurt so that will help some too. I am by no means an expert or anything since we are just beginning to implement things ourselves for the first time but I can help as far as what I have earned from my searching. I suggest doing some searches on wellpoints also known sometimes as sandpoints. There is a lot of info on driving them as well as videos on youtube.
SustainableSerenityAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

One way to learn something is from reading about it. But the REAL way to learn something is by doing it. You're doing fine. Keep it up.
mama23 likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Couple off topic comments. In its infancy NASA -the best danged rocket program of all time, right here in THIS country- learned EVERYTHING by doing it. There was no playbook. They absolutely made it up as they went, and went full tilt it was the cold war- and learned from their mistakes.

That's the way it is. No matter how carefully you teach your children, they still lbasically learn by doing things themselves. If that wasn't the case, the human race would have been geniuses eons ago.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:27 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

I live year round off-grid and bring in water. The less you use, the less you need! First, look into composting toilets. Also airing clothes in the sunshine and breezes extends laundry. Solar showers and swimming in the summer.

Heating

water and wiping down with a wash cloth (little or no soap) makes you feel cleaner than you can imagine. A couple times a week, I go to the gym.

Catching and storing rain water is great, if possible. Well points and hand pumps are also great, if possible. Icicles off the yurt roof in winter, melted on the stove. Wouldn't use the for cooking or drinking, but could I guess if filtered. I just prefer the spring I go to. Use each drop - several times. Can wash hands in old dish water, if not too greasy, and the rinse with fresh water. Get cast iron pans that you don't clean with water. I also use hot water bottles to heat the bed when cold - or anytime I am sitting still and could use more heat. I keep the water in them and have a special pan for reheating that water.
Swykes likes this.
Wintergreen282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Member

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. At this point, once I secure a land lease, I plan on digging a well. I will also need water for a garden that I plan to grow. Meanwhile I finally got confirmation that my Yurt will be shipped tomorrow.

Kochevnik

Last edited by Jafo; 07-07-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: One plug is enough.

Tags
nomad shelter yurts