Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Heating Recommendations?

Old 11-26-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Heating recommendations?

Hello!

I have a 16ft Pacific yurt in my backyard here in Oregon. My daughter will be using it as her primary residence starting next week. Since this was unexpected, we are scrambling to find a suitable heat source. Last year I simply used a Vornado space heater.
It doesnt get to cold here often, usually the lowest is 35 degrees, but it is quite wet, all the time.
We have considered wood stoves like Morso or Hobbit..propane like the Buddy...and infrared electric heaters. Do you have a heat source you love? Can you name names please? In a perfect world, I would buy a Kimberly stove, but cost is a factor.

Here are some things to consider:
- The yurt is on a unfinished plywood platform, and i suspect it loses a fair amount of heat that way, although we are looking to install carpet over the winter.
- My daughter will be living in it full time as will her dog, so we need a way to heat the yurt while she is at work so the poor dog doesnt freeze.
- She is a teenager, so the easier and safer the better.

Thanks!

shesupsidedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Member

Default Re: Heating recommendations?

Given all the facts, I'd stick with electric heat. Unvented gas heat is very moist and will turn the inside of your yurt into a drippy room, particularly with your humidity. Wood heat is nice and dry, but you have to work at it all the time and it's dirty regardless of how much you clean. You might consider a mini split, which allows you to have electric heat without duct work. Also you might consider a couple of oil filled electric radiating heaters. And finally, dogs sleep almost all the time so a

heating

pad for pets in a kennel will give the dog a place to lie down and be warm. I've done all the mentioned with the exception of the mini split, but since I heat mostly with wood it has been an option I haven't exercised....yet.[/I]
cmwingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Administrator

If your daughter can handle it, I would go with wood and possibly an electric backup depending on if there is any plumbing in the yurt. Wood heat is dry and in Oregon, that would definitely be a bonus.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

Wood heat is the way to go. Teach your daughter how to operate the stove. Install 1/2" thick cement board or tile under the stove such that the foot print of the board is at least 8" bigger than the stove. Make it 16" in front of the stove door. Caulk the gaps in the floor if there are any.

A salamander or propane heater would heat that yurt in a minute if run open. Throttled down and idled it will easily maintain a nice comfort level in that small yurt. The issue with these is the fumes, and the water vapor. A Kerosun or such might work too, but I'm unfamiliar with those. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Does anyone have brand names for a 16 ft yurt for wood or propane stove options?
gbengard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Does anyone know of a good bendable material that can keep the wind from blowing under a yurt that is raised up?
gbengard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Addict

Sorry, I don't understand either of your questions.
Old 10-14-2020, 04:53 AM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbengard View Post
Does anyone have brand names for a 16 ft yurt for wood or propane stove options?
Here are some at Home Depot:

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-...toreSelection=
Old 10-14-2020, 04:54 AM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbengard View Post
Does anyone know of a good bendable material that can keep the wind from blowing under a yurt that is raised up?

Many people use hay bales. Myself, I leave it open.

Last edited by Jafo; 10-14-2020 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

In my rustic trad yurts the lowest rope encircling the perimeter wall snugged the cover tight to the wall.

Air tight wood stove for a 16' yurt that is insulated and not drafty, a 2.5 cu ft firebox would work. For an affordable steel wood stove that isn't airtight, I would look into a cylinder stove with that 2.5 ft box.

Air tight holds heat from a full stoke to where you get up less on cold nights. My little wood stove has 1.6 cu ft. and would burn a full load about two hours on low. And idle for about maybe an hour. After that it was done. But-that stove was given to me. There are very good wood stoves that will burn at least twice that long, but they are costly.

Tags
heating