Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Envirolet Ms10

Old 02-11-2017, 09:13 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default envirolet ms10

Anyone using an envirolet ms 10 composting toilet in their yurt? Family of 4 using it full time and I have some maintenance questions. Thanks

newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: envirolet ms10

I have a composting toilet that was given to me and am considering adding it to one of my yurts. Tell me, how has odor worked out for you?
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 02-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

My opinion differs from my wife with regards to odor...I do not smell it in the yurt. If there is an odor it is more organic smelling than waste smelling. I am not seeing any real change in the amount of toilet....trying to learn little things that make it more efficient for family of 4 using full time. I still have some more to do with venting, extend another 3 ft in height.
newt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

I've a composting toilet in my 20 ft yurt, used by two people full time (except work hours). It's a C-Head Boonjon, very different from the Envirolet. It separates the waste streams--liquids go into gallon jugs (3+ gal/week/person), solids go into a dry carbon (peat, coir, sawdust, etc). TP clumps up the solids a bit, so I do the S. American thing & put it in a tiny waste basket (closing lid) next to the toilet. Without TP solids get emptied around every 3 weeks into my dirty compost hole (covered once full & will get a tree planted; includes cat litter & TP; fills roughly every 3 months). With TP solids get emptied every 1-2 weeks. Liquids can be used as fertilizer or added back to the dirty compost to balance out the dry carbon (cat litter wood pellets).

My toilet isn't vented outside yet--one of this week/weekend's projects. It doesn't make any sustained smells (unless you open the lid & sniff right there, 'earthy' smell if working right), but normal "bathroom" smells do occur upon initial solids deposit During the summer with lots of yurt draftiness, it wasn't noticeable. Now I've improved the yurt seal, the initial smell is somewhat strong but disappears in a couple minutes. I get coir bricks & expand them with water, so I need a little air flow through the toilet & out of the yurt to dry the solids & coir more--it would also pull any smells out & the dryness would decrease the emptying frequency.

From the looks of it, your Envirolet has a pretty sophisticated setup. But it mixes liquids & solids, so requires a _lot_ of air & some heat for evaporating--four people would be something like 1.5 gal/day for the liquids part, let alone the solids drying.

Envirolet has a regular & a turbo fan available for the vent system. Their prices look a little high to me though... With a little ingenuity you can splice in small axial fans to boost the vent flow--little used computer ones should be ~$5 or less. Sofasco also has tons of different fans (cfm, ac/dc, etc), but with shipping you end up at $30-50; or any of your standard online hardware/tools places should have them. Or electronics dealers (digikey, mouser, newark).

Two other things come to mind. First is installing a liquids drain to a mini-leach field--Envirolet webpage hints at this. Second is that males could use gallon jugs for liquids collection, reducing the liquids needing evaporating. There's also the S. American thing with the toilet paper. But your actual problem/question wasn't exactly clear
hierony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:34 PM   #5
Administrator

I have an outhouse at camp and I spray painted the exhaust black so when the sun hit it, it would heat the air inside the pipe drawing it upwards, which pulled air from the pit underneath. Not sure if that is applicable to anyone's situation here, but figured I would share.
Bob Rowlands and hierony like this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

brilliant.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None