Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Does Anyone Have Experience Setting Up A Yurt In Tennessee?

Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Does anyone have experience setting up a yurt in tennessee?

Hello, I have been entertaining the idea of moving into a Yurt years. I have come to the point my life where I think this may be a real possibility. I am seriously considering taking the plunge once and for all. I live in middle Tennessee and was hoping to find some other people who are currently Living in Yurts or have experience with Yurts in Tennessee. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. In the meantime I will continue to search the forum for answers to my questions. Thank you

Goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Does anyone have experience setting up a yurt in tennessee?

I am not in Tennessee but I have been there before. As I recall, it gets rather hot there in the summer? If so, you might want to consider at least one regular glass window. The reason for that is, it is a good place to put in an AC unit.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks - Yes it does get quite hot here in the summer. I will be sure to take that advice. My main question at this point would be building codes etc. What issues and or hoops have others had to jump thru in order to make life in a yurt possible in TN? I have the will so there must be a way!
Old 01-18-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Administrator

Well until someone chirps in from Ten., let me ask you, do you know how strict the state is about

insulation

requirements? Here in NY they are very strict about it, but we are also freezing cold a good part of the year. I have noticed that many southern and south western states have less stringent codes when it comes to

insulation

. Generally, that is usually the only sticking point you find with architectural yurts. Otherwise, most of the major yurt manufacturers have stamped engineered plans that generally comply with most building codes.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Check with the campground near Boone, NC that has yurts - similar issues as where you are. That's where I bought mine from. Toe River Lodge
Reinventor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks for the pointers. I am not sure how strict they are with insulation requirements. This is what I came up with by doing a quick search I am not exactly sure what it says but I will figure it out. Here is the link hopefully it helps some people out.

2009 IECC Climate Zone Map

(Tennessee Climate zone 4 insulation requirements)

Ceiling R-value38Wood Frame Wall R-value13Mass Wall R-value i5/10Floor R-value19Basement Wall R-value c10/13Slab R-value d, Depth10, 2 ftCrawlspace Wall R-value c10/13Fenestration U-Factor b0.35Skylight U-Factor b0.60Glazed fenestration SHGC b, eNR
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

It is a relief to hear about the stamped engineering plans. One less thing to have to worry about. Thanks Reinventor I will check that out. I believe there is also another yurt resort/campground in Ducktown TN, Ocoee Yurt Co. Ocoee Yurt Company | Your Mountain Recreation Headquarters!Ocoee Yurt Company
I will defiantly be making a trip to one of theses destinations in the near future. I would really like to visit with some folks who live full time in a yurt.
Andyw likes this.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:50 PM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

Goodyear. Welcome to the forum. I have a yurt in semi arid CO. IMO semi arid is the best climate for yurts, as a high and dry climate is where yurts were initially developed.

However, I'm confident that a yurt can be adapted to any climate, including yours. You learn what works by dealing with issues as they arise. I've found yurts are a learning experience, since all I've ever lived in is conventional stick framed construction. Think positive, roll with the punches, and you'll adapt to whatever comes your way. Good luck.
Marshall Eppley likes this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Youngin

Goodyear. I live near Dickson TN west of Nashville and I built a 30footer from

Yurts of America

in October. I had no codes issues as my county treats in as a garage. I would be happy to answer any questions or you could come see it if you want pm me.

Good luck & Happy yurting
kellye.orange likes this.
tnyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnyurt View Post
Goodyear. I live near Dickson TN west of Nashville and I built a 30footer from

Yurts of America

in October. I had no codes issues as my county treats in as a garage. I would be happy to answer any questions or you could come see it if you want pm me.

Good luck & Happy yurting
Thanks!!! This is great news happy to hear you are so close to me. I will send you a PM a little later. Thanks for getting in touch with me!

Tags
None