Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

COVID-19 In The Yurt

Old 03-25-2020, 09:14 PM   #1
Administrator

Default COVID-19 in the Yurt

We have been up at the Yurt Camp for the last week because my wife works at the ER. We thought it best to separate until things cool down so we don't become one of those super contagious people.

It is working out well. It has become our second home.

I wonder how everyone else is doing? How are you all holding up?

Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 AM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: COVID-19 in the Yurt

Here in Northeast Texas working reduced specific hours at an essential business lumber mill with enhanced safety practices in place. Still is open business but not nearly normal. One case confirmed locally as of now. Yurt is at the edge of town in the country on a 4 acre tract of land, only place I go other than work. My husband does limited shopping for the home. All is well so far
YurterRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Blue Ridge Yurts
Old 03-28-2020, 02:20 AM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

4 weeks of complete lockdown in NZ, but nothing much has changed, we still live in the bush, off grid and away from civilization. Kids are sad we can't go to beach, park and other social activities. Great opportunity to do all the little jobs around the yurt previously delayed until there's time. Just today I've built a fix for my loose water catchment bit, it's been bothering me for so long. Waiting for rain eagerly to see how it holds up.

Stay safe all.
Jafo and Wintergreen282 like this.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

I live in a city of 500k across from the Air Force Academy. We were officially locked down state wide last Thursday. Covid IS shtf that so many have talked about online. Covid exploding like a nuclear chain reaction here and worldwide as I expected and unfortunately it will probably get a whole lot worse in the immediate future.

Fortunately we have 2.5 acres so neighbors are a ways off although we see them and yak from a safe distance when going for walk or bike ride. I have no fear of the virus even though I'm 65 my health is very good from a lifetime of labor, no cigs and little booze.

As for yurts, I dismantled my third home made nomadic yurt earlier this year. Cover was totally rotted out and I have no intention of making another at this time. Grandkids are way too old now to want to 'camp' in there. I gonna build a 10x12 barn shed on the platform in about a month-maybe. We will see what happens.

Hope all stay safe and be good to eachother.
Jafo and Wintergreen282 like this.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
Administrator

I just came back to my regular house after 10 days. I would have loved to stay there longer by my 9 year old wasn't having it..
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Manufacturer Representative

We're switching gears and starting to make face shields and curtains for local first responders and medical community. Still making our yurts, tipis and tents- but will shift to more PPE manufacturing as needed.
Colorado Yurt Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

My family of Denverites is trying to live in our yurt in the Rockies as much as possible these days. I can work from there but my wife needs some office time, unfortunately. So it's winding up a fairly even split. We feel unbelievably fortunate that we've got that space, surrounded by many acres and then BLM land to explore with out 7 and 9 year old, instead of being cooped up in the city.

Stay safe, everyone. Still the beginning, I'm afraid.

Andy

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5TxKUUFuwG/
Jafo and Bob Rowlands like this.
Palmeraw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:18 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Member

We have been going up every Friday morning for long weekends of clearing/burning brush, and building a log firewood shed.. looking forward for the end of snow and ice, as we still need to walk and drag supplies a mile in.. After the shed, maybe move the out house, than possibly a solar panel. I think this will go on for awhile, although being retired, it has not affected me to much. As long as grocery store, liquor store and hardware store are open, we can operate normally, I guess we are lucky.
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

Thanks for all the updates. We are locked down statewide, as is likely everywhere else. I hate to say it but I expect this bloody virus to continue to EXPLODE worldwide. Glad I do not live in NYC or any hotbed. Might become like that around here, beats me. Wife and I are in our mid 60s so we are cautious and just do not go out unless to get groceries. I am retired as of 1-2020, but wife still works for Catholic charities. Even that office is closed as of a week ago, and she now works from home eight hours a day. It is SO weird seeing biz closed, and 20% of traffic of just weeks ago.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:11 PM   #10
Yurt Forum Addict

This worldwide virus, I just wonder what the origin is, and the reasoning behind it. Is this nature running amok in effect culling the old and weak? Nature could care less about people, it just 'is', I know that. But, is this massive virus a side effect of many billions of people? I'd sure like to know the big picture on this. Maybe civilizations on other planets were exterminated by virus? Just thinking out loud here.

Tags
None