Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Building Codes Battle In NY State

Old 10-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Send a message via Skype™ to Kektaltos
Exclamation Building codes battle in NY state

Dear Yurt Forum,
We sold our very little house in August. We purchased a 13.9 acre land in Upstate New York and had a plan to live in 2 yurts. We purchased two Mongolian yurts from

groovy yurts

(Amazing company and very nice people!). After we put the smaller yurt on the land, completely hidden from road, a building code officer came to our land and told us that it is not allowed. We still have it up, because it is under 144 sq feet. They don’t want us to live in it full time. They want us to make a septic system and build a house on the land. That would cost us more than $70,000 that we don’t have. We are trying to talk to the building department and ask questions, etc, but they are very rude and they say that they don’t have time to answer questions We have started a fundraiser to help meet the requirements, because we are practically homeless (living at a friends house) and the building department is extremely rude and acting like the worst mafia with contradicting laws and absolutely no interest to even listen to a question from us. Please if you have time, look at our fundraiser and donate if you can. There are amazing perks we offer in return . This is the link: https://igg.me/at/yeticamp/x/14080637#/
Please, also, let us know any idea that you have, how to deal with this kind of situation.
Thank you for your help,
Kektaltos

Kektaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 06:30 PM   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Building codes battle in NY state

I don't generally allow these threads but for now I will unless it gets rowdy.

I used to live not far from where you are trying to put these yurts. I lived in Ulster County. I can tell you that if you plan on battling the code enforcement there, you are going to lose.

Basically you are going to have to build a structure there with septic if you plan on using it as a residence. I see no way around it. Get plans approved for the absolute smallest house you must build and septic. Just enough to meet code and then live in the yurt after you get the CO for your house.

It is ridiculous, but that is so in much of NY.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 10-19-2020, 07:05 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks, unfortunately that’s what I understand so far, it is just crazy because we already spent all our money. The worst building department I have ever dealt with for sure...
Old 10-20-2020, 08:56 AM   #4
Yurt Forum Addict

So, one of your immediate goals to legally occupy the yurt is to build a septic system. Unless you lost both legs, a hand, and have serious brain damage from stepping on an i.e.d., what is stopping you from getting after it?
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 06:03 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

I will try my best to come up with about $30,000. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:42 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Addict

If you need 30K, or 70K, to make your dream happen, how about taking out a loan? Just so you know, interest rates right now are less than 3%. That is historically low. I remember when Carter was in office and it was 18%.

The building dept. here is super busy, as they are everywhere nowadays. Interest rates are LOW. Take advantage of it, and MAKE your dream happen. Don't let anything get in your way. Formulate a plan, and GO for it.
Old 10-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with this! We're also hoping to build a yurt in upstate NY and just met with our code enforcer about it. He's trying to be supportive and we've really had a positive experience with him so far, but we're still working on a way to say that a yurt would meet the energy efficiency requirements (going to start a new post about that soon...). We do have electricity and septic access, though, so it sounds like we're not facing as many of the challenges you're facing. Hope you're able to get it to work out!
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:23 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Addict

I will end my posts on this thread before they become political.

Here's a true short story. In 1995 my partner and I trimmed the large new home of the president of a brand new home building company. His first home here in CO, Lee came from CA to CO to start a new home building company. It did indeed become one of the biggest and most respected home building companies. Many thousands of families live in homes that company built. This doesn't 'just happen'. It is MADE to happen, by those with a dream, and a vision, and the drive to make things happen.

At the start of our work, I had lunch with the president, Lee. During our conversation over lunch, Lee said, "Bob, if God leveled the playing field on a Monday so that everyone was completely equal, in one week you have have those that see opportunity, and have started work towards making success, and those that have have become 'victims' that need help. Truer words have never been spoken.

With that I am out on this thread.
TSRalex likes this.

Tags
groovy yurts, mongolian yurt company