Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Living
Advanced Search

Any Of You In TN?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Any of you in TN?

Hi! So me and my family are still in the very beginnings of our adventure. Currently we live in FL (me, husband and 3 little kids) but we plan on buying land in TN and building a 30ft yurt. Do any of you live in TN? how do you feel your yurt does in this climate? I know TN gets hot. Being we live in FL we know hot too lol. Where are some areas that are unrestricted has far has land goes in TN that we should look into? Currently all of the properties we like are in Hancock County. Now sure if that's a good fit or not. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ardygurly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Re: Any of you in TN?

Hello. I live outside Nashville in Hickman county TN and we have 2 yurts. Though we do not live in either, we use them for workshop/conference space. Most non metro counties (Knox, Shelby, Williamson, Davison, Hamilton) may be a fit for a yurt in TN. I would the building commission and ask. I would word my questions carefully. Instead of asking if a yurt is allowed(they will have little clue what a yurt is), I would ask when you need to have a permit. Maybe find land with a small old house so you can reuse the electric, water, and/or septic. Some counties in Tennessee don't have building codes still, mine got them in 2012. If I had electric, water, kitchen & bath codes said I needed a permit if not it is considered a garage and no permit is needed.
As for the heat in Tennessee, it is brutal and I have lived in Orlando. Not worse just about the same in the summer with colder winters. We have a 30' Yurt of America on a concrete pad with a 3 ton mini split for hvac. It keeps it cool in the summer, 75 degrees on 95 degree days and mostly warm 60ish on 10 degree nights. I would use a wood stove but since I rent the yurt to groups, I do not trust just anyone with a fire. We also have a 5 wall authentic Groovy Yurt. Please feel free to PM me or look at goldenwingscenter.com. I welcome you to come take a look or ask any questions. Happy yurting.

Justin- GWC
Marshall Eppley and Camille like this.
tnyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 09-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #3
Yurt Forum Youngin

thank you for your reply! I'll look into those areas you mentioned. We normally keep our house at 82-84 degrees so I think we'll do ok with the heat Most of the listings we've seen in Sneedville which is in Hancock county did say "no restrictions" so hopefully it wont be a problem but we are still open to other areas. I still have a lot of research to do. I may be messaging you with more questions as we have them
Old 09-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

The counties I mentioned are all metro counties so I meant stay away from those. No restrictions usual means about how big or small or materials or type, but usually still have to meet codes, unless you are up the sticks were inspectors don't go. Lots of those places in TN.
tnyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

ah gotcha. Misread your previous post. Well thank you for the heads up. Very good info
Old 10-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

I have property in Sevier County, Tn; fairly relaxed codes in several east Tennessee counties. I highly recommend visiting the areas you are interested in as part of your research.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
I have property in Sevier County, Tn; fairly relaxed codes in several east Tennessee counties. I highly recommend visiting the areas you are interested in as part of your research.
do you have a yurt in sevier county? that was an area of interest for us. We plan to rent a house when we first move (since we will be moving out of state) to see what areas we like but doing all the research we can now before making the big move
Old 01-12-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hello, I live in Clarksville, TN and am very curious about living in a Yurt. TNYurt, you said you have two near Nashville..Would you allow me and a friend to drive by and see one? I would like to get a feel for the sizes, see how the canvas holds up, etc!!! I would greatly appreciate it.
rboucher1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:57 AM   #9
Yurt Forum Addict

I live in CO at 6.5K'. It is dry and sunny here. The cover on my yurt is premium double fill 17 oz treated canvas. My yurt's been covered continuously for 2.5 years now. I really doubt I'll get five years out of the cover, UNLESS I coat it with paint. I am considering doing that this summer since the cover is starting to mildew and degrade. More than happy to pass along this real world experience if it will help someone understand what continuous exposure does to premium canvas.

IMO anyone looking for a cover that will last a decade or longer really needs to consider a professionally made fifteen year rated cover. Sun and

moisture

kill canvas. Good luck.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #10
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnyurt View Post
The counties I mentioned are all metro counties so I meant stay away from those. No restrictions usual means about how big or small or materials or type, but usually still have to meet codes, unless you are up the sticks were inspectors don't go. Lots of those places in TN.
Hello, Am interested in building a yurt here in Nashville area. Understand you have a yurt in Hickman county; no real issues with zoning or?
And how is/are the yurt(s) holding up?
chocoMommaBird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None