Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Yurt Industry
Advanced Search

Snow Loads

Old 05-02-2018, 07:36 PM   #11
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Snow Loads

I've seen photos online of yurt with 3 to 4 feet of snow on the roof. I've also seen photo of yurt roof collapse due to massive snow load.

#200/ft is the highest roof loading I have ever heard of. Here in CO the engineering of trusses for snow load, for single family residences is #65/ft. Tripling that on any yurt is asking for assured collapse imo. It's a tent. If your yurt roof was 400 sq. ft. at #200/ft. that would be forty TONS of weight up there bearing on a lath wall with supports under the rafters and supports under the ring. Regardless of any engineering that is a crazy load on any tent. That's why there was no reply.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:24 PM   #12
Administrator

If I recall

Nomad Shelter Yurts

handles that and then some.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Groovy Yurts
Old 05-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #13
Yurt Forum Addict

My yurt has a roof angle of about 25 degrees. About. I can't remember exactly but that is within 2 degrees. My canvas cover doesn't shed snow at all. I have to poke the cover from inside with a shovel handle to get the snow off. If I recall correctly prime avalanche slope is 35 to 40 degrees. Unless you have a very steep pitch or a slick cover the snow is probably gonna pile up.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #14
Yurt Forum Addict

Totally off yurts but a standing seam metal roof sheds snow like the dickens. LOTS of folks up in the mountains have metal roofs precisely for that feature. If I had a cabin in the Rockies I'd have a metall roof without a doubt.

Tags
None