Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts  

Go Back   Yurt Forum - A Yurt Community About Yurts > Buying A Yurt
Advanced Search

Just Wondering

Old 01-31-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
Yurt Forum Youngin

Default Just wondering

Hi y'all, I'm new to the yurt scene and am in the process of trying to decide between the traditional Mongolian style yurt versus the more modernized American style. I've read somewhere on here how the traditional yurts are more susceptible to weathering, mold and mildew, but couldn't something be done to lessen all that? Just wondering because when I do get a yurt, I really want a traditional one. And by the way, I live in the Piedmont region of North Carolina as far as weather goes, so it's pretty mild here for the most part. Thanks for any input.

nc_hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:33 PM   #2
Yurt Forum Addict

Default Re: Just wondering

Welcome to the site nc. Go for the trad yurt. Nomadic Mongolian herders have lived in simple trad yurts for possibly thousands of years, and still do today. They have the design perfected. The 16' yurt I built from scratch is similar to theirs. I like it very much. You can upgrade later after you really learn what you want. Jump in, get your feet wet. Have fun learning.
Bob Rowlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Pacific Yurts - The original modern yurt
Old 01-31-2014, 11:32 PM   #3
Administrator

If the climate is really humid, keep that under consideration that you may have to take steps to mitigate it. Otherwise, build what your heart wants man.
Bob Rowlands likes this.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #4
Yurt Forum Youngin

Thanks y'all!
Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi - If you are in the piedmont of NC, you are sort of near

Blue Ridge Yurts

in Floyd, VA. Why not go look? They are almost finished building our 30' yurt for us, and when we got going with the shopping process we drove over and looked. They have a smaller yurt (20') set up on site (for sale used - they do that every year after Floyd Fest where yurts serve as the welcome/info sites and a medical yurt as well, which all get sold after) as well as a 30' with 10' walls which can be rented short term if you really want to try it out. i am a Carrboro, NC native, by the way
Good luck!
Kirsten in VA
arcadiafarmyurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Yurt Forum Youngin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadiafarmyurt View Post
Hi - If you are in the piedmont of NC, you are sort of near

Blue Ridge Yurts

in Floyd, VA. Why not go look? They are almost finished building our 30' yurt for us, and when we got going with the shopping process we drove over and looked. They have a smaller yurt (20') set up on site (for sale used - they do that every year after Floyd Fest where yurts serve as the welcome/info sites and a medical yurt as well, which all get sold after) as well as a 30' with 10' walls which can be rented short term if you really want to try it out. i am a Carrboro, NC native, by the way
Good luck!
Kirsten in VA
Thanks for the info!
Old 05-31-2014, 02:44 PM   #7
Yurt Forum Youngin

Hi Hillbilly,
I've was in a couple trad yurts while researching; and though appealing from a purist perspective, I found they felt dark and kind of "heavy"--which is exactly NOT what I want in my yurt-living experience. I lived in a 20" yurt by Blue Ridge Yurts for two years (one of the festival yurts ArcaciaFarmYurt mentioned) and it felt so light and airy inside I loved it. It's been in storage for a year now and I've decided to sell it, if you're interested. I'm asking $5k and that includes the entire platform and plywood subfloor (insulation package).
yurtgirl likes this.
jojo4450 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None